FM14 Stories

Photo

Steam-Disk Read Error (Hence I Can't Start Fm13) (Problem Solved+ Solution Provided)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 darthbane999

darthbane999

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSIngapore

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

After the most recent update, I click on fm13 in steam, try to start fm13, then it shows the updating window, finishes in about 2 seconds and comes out this error: "An error occurred while updating Football Manager 2013 (disk read error)" It also advises me to go into the steam support site for more information but when I clicked on the link provided, it brought me to a page which does not exist. Now, I can't play fm13, even with the original DVD inserted in the computer. Anyone know how to solve this?
"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool off their ******* perch. And you can print that." Sir Alex Ferguson, 2002

#2 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Odd, didn't you download it through Steam?

I recommend either doing a re-install or if that doesn't work, contacting steam directly (over the phone). I know its a pain in the arse, but get it done ASAP so you can start playing again ;)
Posted Image

#3 darthbane999

darthbane999

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSIngapore

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I bought the DVD and then it was downloaded through steam. Re-installing is going to be a pain in the arse that one I agree with you. I'll see if that works. Thanks Jake.
"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool off their ******* perch. And you can print that." Sir Alex Ferguson, 2002

#4 darthbane999

darthbane999

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSIngapore

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:32 AM

Re-installing didn't work. The problem still persists. Anyone knows how to solve it?

#5 darthbane999

darthbane999

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSIngapore

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

Haha. I just found out what the problem is. I had FM running in the background, not as an application for some reason. Because of that, it caused the disk-write error. Now I should be able to start it up.

#6 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,660 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

glad to hear it ;)
Posted Image

#7 ConnorVilasBoas95

ConnorVilasBoas95

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationCo.Galway

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Have exact same problem how exactly did you solve yours??

#8 darthbane999

darthbane999

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSIngapore

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

PMed you already. Glad to help.

#9 darthbane999

darthbane999

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSIngapore

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

I have been receiving some PMs from people regarding how I solved this problem. I think I will try to explain how I did it, so that others can refer to this if they have the same problem. First, if you encounter this problem, you should open up task manager (control+alternate+delete). Check that Football Manager 2013 is not already running as an application. If it is, force quit it. If FM is not running as an application, then look under the 'processes' tab. Under the processes tab, you should force quit ALL the fm.exe which are still running. Sometimes there can be several fm.exe for some reason. After you force quit all the fm.exe, you should complete the update, after that, you should be able to run FM. This is how I solved the problem on WINDOWS XP, so if you are on another OS, I may not be able to help you. Good luck and have fun!
  • bmwdestroyer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users