196 replies to this topic

#1 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I have been playing Football Manager for about 3 years now.

In these 3 years I dont think I have ever had a save for more than 2 or 3 seasons bar once, last year was the same struggling to hold down a save. I have been very exicted for this years game and thought things would be different but nope, same thing. Starting saves and quitting. I think about 5 to 6 weeks I have done 5 stories, 2 which crashed and the others I quit.

I am unsure on which way I want to play the game, higher leagues or lower leagues, I have never had a long save and a long story.

Is their anyone who could give me some advice on where to start or anything?

I really want to crack on to a story but it won't be till I hold down a save.

#2 davewig1980

davewig1980

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'm exactly the same to be honest with you. The reason I started my thread up on here is to share who bad I am at the game in general and get some banter going. I am thinking that this might help "encourage" me to continue on with the save.
I don't want to be remembered - being remembered means that you are dead

Add me to facebook or twitter - davewig1980.  I am even more strange on there.....

#3 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

I'm exactly the same to be honest with you. The reason I started my thread up on here is to share who bad I am at the game in general and get some banter going. I am thinking that this might help "encourage" me to continue on with the save.

Yeah, I have started a lot of stories and quit too easily, I need to find a perfect team but don't know who that is.

#4 davewig1980

davewig1980

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

It is quite a fine balance. I never play with the teams I support (Reading and Rangers) because I am too attached to the players and wouldn't want to get rid of them! I do tend to go for poor teams in the top divisions so you have the challenge of trying to keep them up. If you get relegated, it was expected but if you survive then that's a bonus!

Add me to facebook or twitter - davewig1980.  I am even more strange on there.....

#5 royman

royman

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

I had the same problem myself, I first started a pentagon challenge which got me 8 seasons worth of play, then a unemployment challenge which got me roughly 4-5 seasons of play. However the new fm came out by that time so I couldn't finish it. Also I decided to do kind of a youth challenge with Athletico Bilbao which got me about 10 seasons of action.

#6 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Indeed it is a struggle at times. Before last year, I could only do a season or two at a time before I quit. I struggled to motivate myself to keep playing my old Gloucester save last year too, in the end, I just sort of forced myself to play a couple of matches a night until I got into a rhythm and rekindled my love for the game. I cant really recommend anything but keep trying different things until you find a formula you really enjoy playing, rather than just for playing's sake. If that makes sense :) .

newport_signature_zps945d3c1b.png

#7 davewig1980

davewig1980

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

I agree with Archie, I have forced myself to play the game sometimes. The 1st season is always the hardest, followed swiftly by the start of the 2nd season when your new players are settling in. If I get beyond that stage, then I hope it becomes easier :)

#8 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,689 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

To be honest, it is always a teething problem coming into a new Footy Manager and like Archie said, you have to keep trying until you find something that works for you.

Luckily my first save was actually with a mate of mine, playing on the same computer.. so we never got bored as we were always just playing it casually. I know that probably isnt possible for you mate, but you could try and give a network game a whirl with someone?
Posted Image

#9 kevin

kevin

Icon

• FM13 Story of the Year
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

Welcome to the world of story writing which is all about the right subject matter that's meaningful to you. As you live in Newcastle I wouldn't suggest them as there are a lot of stories which feature that great team already.

Stick-with-it-ness effects both young and old but I had success in FM 2012 simply because I could relate to Vancouver. Although I don't live there - I'm in Toronto I had visited that city so could somewhat relate. Also I had the idea for FM Moneyball so that felt North American too.

Now is there anywhere you have visited or would like to go to that has left a lasting impression on you? That could at least be a basis for a story. If all else fails start unemployed!

If it's any comfort my Bellinzona story will most likely end as I'm not getting the "feel" for it even though I won the league.

#10 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

I think if you're not feeling Real Madrid quit and find a job in the same save and go from there. I used to struggle to hold down a save so I've employed a rule on myself if I am 100% not feeling it I quit and stay in the same save so you don't have to do the REPETITIVE Pre-Season again and maybe you can take over a side in March, save them from relegation and get attached to that save. You normally need a sense of achievement to get you attached to a save so this method could work.

If it's any comfort my Bellinzona story will most likely end as I'm not getting the "feel" for it even though I won the league.

Shame to hear Kevin but I really enjoyed Vancouver and Montreal Impact would be just as good - if you decide to leave.

#11 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Thank you all for your replies, Jake I am doing a network game at the moment however it is off line.

Now is there anywhere you have visited or would like to go to that has left a lasting impression on you? That could at least be a basis for a story. If all else fails start unemployed!

Kevin, you are a genius, you've gave me a idea!

Sad to hear that mate

#12 mufcvarun

mufcvarun

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

I'm kinda the same mate. Ever since I've quit Rangers I keep getting a save then quitting. So if you are reading everyone I won't be continueing it so I won't write till I find a good save.

Please read my story: You'll Never Walk Alone

"It is unfortunate but I am the manager of the most famous club in the world. Not Newcastle, a wee club in the north east. - Sir Alex Ferguson

#13 jonathancarver

jonathancarver

First team player

• Moderators
  • 988 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I agree with Kevin, last year was by far the longest save I ever had and it was because I had a link with Birtley, I was determined to see it to an end and tbh I'm still playing it from time to time because I am so proud of it! You need to find that link and that feeling where your so passionate about it that a crappy season won't make you quit, last year I got so frustrated, especially when I was in the Championship an it took me 3 years to get promoted!! If it had been any other team I'd have probably quit but since it was my hometown I persevered and in the end reaped the rewards!!

#14 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

I agree with Kevin, last year was by far the longest save I ever had and it was because I had a link with Birtley, I was determined to see it to an end and tbh I'm still playing it from time to time because I am so proud of it! You need to find that link and that feeling where your so passionate about it that a crappy season won't make you quit, last year I got so frustrated, especially when I was in the Championship an it took me 3 years to get promoted!! If it had been any other team I'd have probably quit but since it was my hometown I persevered and in the end reaped the rewards!!

Thanks mate but if I am honest their isn't many teams I have a link to. Necwastle and Chelsea really, also Blyth which I tried today and didn't enjoy going that far down.

#15 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Right guys, I wanna just thank you all that commented and you have all helped me.

Kevin and Johnathan have reakly got me thinking and due to their comments I have found a club that isn't really close to me however I do like them and don't have any such link with them however I feel I could enjoy with.

I will we starting the story onze I have done a couple of seasons so around 2 weeks or so and will probably start it up on this thread.

Thanks again guys and I'll see you all later!

#16 NUFCdan

NUFCdan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Cant wait for this!

Follow me on Twitter - @danwright1999

#17 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

My tip is player development, it wasn't until I invested in young players to develop that I really started taking my saves beyond the 5 year mark.
Posted Image

#18 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

My tip is player development, it wasn't until I invested in young to develop that I really started taking my saves beyond the 5 year mark.

Yeah Darren, I try on every save I play to sign young players and implement your y2g system and training and giving the younger players the game time they need to develop and hopefully I can do this on my save.

#19 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

I did think I found the perfect side in Wigan but no.

I have established however I want to play the game with a bottom half premier league side or a top Championship side but not sure who so if any of you have any ideas and my aim is to start writing a story in the next few weeks or so

#20 davewig1980

davewig1980

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationReading, UK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

I have established however I want to play the game with a bottom half premier league side or a top Championship side but not sure who so if any of you have any ideas and my aim is to start writing a story in the next few weeks or so

I personally find that if you allow someone else to pick your team, then you don't have that connection with them and that it's even harder to get into the save!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users