FM14 Stories

Photo

A Fabrice Muamba Tale: To Be Champions, We Have To Spend Like Champions!

• Please log in to reply
813 replies to this topic

#1 Declan Byrnes

Declan Byrnes

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationEssex, England

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

The doctors said it would help my recovery, mentally more than physically, if I wrote about what happens to me as I try to work my way into management and, more importantly, normal everyday life. I'm lucky to be alive, and I want to grab life with both hands and get back into the game I love. Ever since I was told I wouldn't be able to play professionally again, there was only one career move on my mind: management. I had always planned to move into coaching and potentially being a manager, but now it's arrived at my feet ten years earlier than I planned. I never got the chance to reach the very top as a player, but I'll be damned if I won't as a manager. Obviously I have no non-playing experience, but I've been working on coaching badges since I got out of hospital and I just hope that somebody will give me a chance. I'm not expecting to replace Fergie, or take over at the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu - not yet anyway - but I hope that one day Fabrice Muamba will be a name that will be up there with the managerial greats.

I can't believe it. Only one day after I applied for a few jobs, ranging from the Championship to the Blue Square Premier, I got an email forwarded from my agent.

1approach.jpg

There was no way I was going to pass this opportunity up and I accepted it straight away.

2job.jpg

Once I'd taken the job, I thought it best to try and find out what I could about the team's history, and I found out that they have had no major success - I hope that I can change that.

3background.jpg

During my meeting with Mr. Mitchell, he let me know what was expected of me, and that getting a respectable finish around the top half of the division was the aim this year. He also let me know the budgets I had available to me, as well as telling me I would get a good proportion of the transfer fees I can get in to spend on new players.

4expectations.jpg

I made my very first signing today by bringing in experienced centre-back Eric Addo. He's played nearly 50 times for Ghana and should steady up the back line, at least for this season.

5addo.jpg

Because of the fact my budgets aren't fantastic at present, I will really need to make use of the loan market, and I did that today by bringing in two loan signings, both of whom cost nothing in fees or wages. They really are bargains, both from Premier League teams and very good for this level.

Spoiler

I sold four players in the last three days and brought in loads of money for the club, some of which I hope I'll be able to spend. I would have liked to have kept Pugh, as in my first few training sessions he looked very good, but me and the Chairman both agreed that we couldn't turn down £2 million for one player

8transfersout.jpg

It's been a very busy time at Bournemouth as I have been able to spend some of the money that has been brought in and I signed 6 more players in just under 2 weeks. I brought in four permanent transfers and Lappin and Wilson on loan.

Spoiler

We also played our last friendly today and they went well during pre-season, with the team seemingly starting to merge despite a lot of new players. Having played through our friendlies, it's also helped me decide on our formations for the season. I want to play attacking football so a 4-3-3/4-5-1 will be my main formation, but I also have more defensive one for when it's needed.

Spoiler

I'm really looking forward to the start of the season and I hope that I may even be able to pick up a couple more signings before the window slams shut...

• Intopay likes this

muambad.png

#2 ThatWagstaffKid

ThatWagstaffKid

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Very well written mate, perfect for a diary-style design.
Here's to hoping you can take Bournemouth to the top!

Check out my story, an old face back at his boyhood club - this time at the helm:

Maestro Returns to Manchester!

#3 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Some good signings there, a great mix of technical midfielders and fast pacey strikers that can stretch defences, which are important in the lower leagues. I do hope you can reach the play-offs minimum, good luck!

#4 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,682 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Really well wrote mate and a great idea to be Muamba! Some good signings too and I'll do my best to follow

#5 vaibhavc

vaibhavc

• Moderators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Well written so far. Great idea to be Muamba. You have some great loan signings. Ephraim will dominate the league.
FMS Forum Moderator.
Man United <3

#6 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Wonderful idea for a story, I must admit I considered doing a story with Muamba as the manager. As mentioned above, good signings and I'm sure you'll do well in the league. :)

newport_signature_zps945d3c1b.png

#7 Declan Byrnes

Declan Byrnes

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationEssex, England

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Very well written mate, perfect for a diary-style design.
Here's to hoping you can take Bournemouth to the top!

Some good signings there, a great mix of technical midfielders and fast pacey strikers that can stretch defences, which are important in the lower leagues. I do hope you can reach the play-offs minimum, good luck!

Really well wrote mate and a great idea to be Muamba! Some good signings too and I'll do my best to follow

Well written so far. Great idea to be Muamba. You have some great loan signings. Ephraim will dominate the league.

Wonderful idea for a story, I must admit I considered doing a story with Muamba as the manager. As mentioned above, good signings and I'm sure you'll do well in the league. :)

Thanks guys! :D The signings so far have been pretty good and I've still got a couple more to pull out of the bag in the next update ;)

muambad.png

#8 NUFCdan

NUFCdan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Nice idea! Good signings and good luck!

Follow me on Twitter - @danwright1999

#9 mufcvarun

mufcvarun

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Love the Muamba idea! Good luck for the season!

Please read my story: You'll Never Walk Alone

"It is unfortunate but I am the manager of the most famous club in the world. Not Newcastle, a wee club in the north east. - Sir Alex Ferguson

#10 Karl Deighton

Karl Deighton

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationTelford,England

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

I like the diary format, easy to read and follow.

Good pre-season, you made good signings, Ephraim is my favourite, I think he will do well in League 1.

Good luck

#11 Declan Byrnes

Declan Byrnes

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationEssex, England

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

Nice idea! Good signings and good luck!

Love the Muamba idea! Good luck for the season!

I like the diary format, easy to read and follow.

Good pre-season, you made good signings, Ephraim is my favourite, I think he will do well in League 1.

Good luck

Glad you all seem to like the idea and the style. Should be able to have the next update out sometime today :)

muambad.png

#12 Johnny Karp

Johnny Karp

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 799 posts
  • LocationBucharest

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

Best of luck with the story mate, loved the first episode :)

“When we have the ball, we can’t lose it. And when that happens, run and get it back. That is it, basically." - Pep Guardiola

FootballManagerStory.com

#13 Declan Byrnes

Declan Byrnes

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationEssex, England

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Best of luck with the story mate, loved the first episode :)

Thanks Johnny, glad you enjoyed it! :)

muambad.png

#14 Declan Byrnes

Declan Byrnes

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationEssex, England

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

With the start of the season just days away, I managed to clinch another two loan signings. Meyler will add some steel to the centre of midfield, while Mackie will mainly be used in one of the wide roles to support the main striker.

Spoiler

First proper match tomorrow. I can't say I'm not nervous, but i'm really looking forward to it as well. It's my first real step in my new career in management, and I just hope it'll go well.

We had our first competitive match today and we managed to start with a win in the Capital One Cup. We played some great stuff and created a lot of chances. The only downside was that we picked up a couple of injuries, but tluckily hey don't look too serious at the moment.

Spoiler

First league game today. Not the result, or the performance, I was looking for. Colchester dominated and we just weren't good enough. On the upside, the home fans gave me a great reception, and I hope I can show them some better display's at Dean Court.

Spoiler

Great result today! It was a pretty tight match in all honesty, but we just took our chances where Tranmere didn't. It feels great to get some league points on the board and I hope it'll be the first of many.

Spoiler

We lost another league game at home this afternoon. We definitely could've got something out of this game but when it's not your day...

Spoiler

I'm so proud of the lads after this match. We may have lost, and we're out of the league cup for this year, but none of them gave up and we nearly pulled off a great, late comeback. Wolves are favourites to win promotion in the Championship so getting close to holding them was enough for me to be pleased with. Three defeats in the last four games, but with lots of new players the team is still gelling.

Spoiler

The transfer window shut last night but I managed bring in one last player. Yet another loan, but the League 1 match rules mean I can pick 5 players loaned from within England per game, and I think the only way I managed to convince Adam to join us was because he didn't want to spend a year sat in the reserves at Reading. I've watched the lad play a few times and he's a fantastic finisher, meaning that my last addition is probably my best.

Spoiler

With my squad in place I could move on from a disappointing few games on the pitch and look forward to hopefully turning things around and picking up a few more wins...
  • wryfyng likes this

muambad.png

#15 NUFCdan

NUFCdan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

Good signings Fabrice, unlucky about the home defeats!

Follow me on Twitter - @danwright1999

#16 vaibhavc

vaibhavc

• Moderators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Your away form is better than your home form! But you are doing decent so far. If you can pick up a few more wins, your team will be awesome. Le Fondre isa great finisher. He will do well for you.
FMS Forum Moderator.
Man United <3

#17 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Very good signings indeed, Le Fondre and Mackie are both fantastic players for this level.
  • Edd the red likes this

newport_signature_zps945d3c1b.png

#18 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Great coup in Le Fondre but the results don't seem to add up with the performances and it does seem you are unlucky. Points will come soon enough

#19 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,682 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Results will come mate, maybes the time needs sqaud to gel. Le Fondre and Mackie should be very good signings/

#20 Johnny Karp

Johnny Karp

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 799 posts
  • LocationBucharest

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Things will surely improve, your team is leaking a few goals at the moment but that should be fixed once the lads gel.

“When we have the ball, we can’t lose it. And when that happens, run and get it back. That is it, basically." - Pep Guardiola

FootballManagerStory.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users