Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

THE STORY SO FAR

12/13 - 1st in Second Division North (Promoted to the Liga Orangina).

Won the Second Division.

Knocked out in the 2nd Round of the TdP.

13/14 - 2nd in Liga Orangina (Promoted to Liga Zon Sagres).

Knocked out in the 3rd round of the TdP.

14/15 - 4th in Liga Zon Sagres.

Knocked out in the semi-final of the TdP.

2nd in the League Cup 3rd Phase.

15/16 - 3rd in Liga Zon Sagres

Runners up in the TdP.

2nd in the League Cup 3rd Phase.

Knocked out in the quarter-finals of the Europa League.

16/17 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres.

Runners up in the SuperTaca.

Knocked out in the 3rd Round of the TdP.

Won the League Cup.

Knocked out in the Second Knockout Round of the Europa League.

17/18 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres.

Won the SuperTaca.

Runners up in the TdP.

Runners up in the League Cup.

Knocked out in the First Knockout Round of the Champions League.

18/19 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres.

Won the TdP.

Runners up in the League Cup.

Knocked out in the Quarter-finals of the Champions League.

19/20 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres.

Won the SuperTaca.

Knocked out in the 5th Round of the TdP.

Won the League Cup.

Knocked out in the Semi-finals of the Champions League.

20/21 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres

Won the TdP.

Won the League Cup.

Runners up in the Champions League.

21/22 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres.

Won the SuperTaca.

Won the TdP.

Knocked out in the semi-finals of the League Cup.

Knocked out in the First Knockout Round of the Champions League.

22/23 - 1st in Liga Zon Sagres.

Won the SuperTaca

Won the TdP.

Knocked out in 3rd phase of the League Cup.

Won the Champions League.

Hi everyone, my name's Archie Corcoran and welcome to my first ever Football manager story. I must admit I have read your stories for about a year now but have only just decided to sign up. I have been playing the series since FM07 which I had on the Xbox, but last year was the first time I played it seriously. I considered writing up my FM12 story but decided against it in the end, even though I am immensely proud of it.

I played as Gloucester City in the Blue Square North and these two screenshots should summarize my journey to world domination.

FM12GloucesterHistory_Overview.png

FM12GloucesterHistory_Competitions.png

I'm really pleased with our European success. I also managed Russia where we won the Euro's and came fourth in the World Cup.

Anyway, onto my new story. I have always played in the bottom division club and worked my way up, but this year I wanted to do something a little different and manage in a country where I haven't seen to many stories based. I had first settled on Scotland, and then Iceland, and then Turkey but now I've decided to play in Portugal.

I saw someone post a short story on the main site a few months back (apologies, your name escapes me) and I am now playing as a team in the same position. My team for Football Manager 2013 is...

Boabadge.png

BOAVISTA FUTEBOL CLUBE

Here's the link to their Wiki page ( http://en.wikipedia....ki/Boavista_F.C) but here's my quick history of the club. They have been a decent Portuguese team for most of their history and had been a top team in the 90's and 00's. In fact they even won the Portuguese title in 2001, only the second time a club outside the big three have won it (that is Porto, Benfica and Sporting). They have also won the Taca de Portugal (Portuguese FA cup) 5 times. Some of their most famous players include Joao Viera Pinto, Nuno Gomes, Petit, Jose Boswinga, Raul Merieles and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

The Black Panthers went on a legendary UEFA Cup run in 2002-2003 season when they were eventually knocked out by Celtic in the Semi-finals. They also featured twice in the Champions League group stages (some Man Utd fans may remember playing them in 01-02 season) although they weren't able to keep up their run, and were eventually relegated in 2008 to the second division due to financial problems and corruption allegations. The debts continued to rise and they now play in the third division. They are similar to a Portuguese Portsmouth if you like.

Today they are really struggling. They came fourth last year but ATM they are 11th out of 16 and things are looking bleak.

My aim is to take them back to the top division, then into Europe, and restore them to the powerhouse they once were. Here is a quick summary of the club in the game.

Boavista_BoardroomFinances.png

Boavista_HistoryOverview.png

Boavista_InformationGeneral.png

The Portuguese league system works like this. The first division is called the Liga Zon Sagres. Then come the second division; the Liga Orangina. Boa are currently in the third division.

The third division is quite complicated so I'll try to explain. Basically, it is split into a North, Central and South section. The teams who finish first in each of the three sections play each other in a round-robin sort of league, and two of those three teams get promoted to the second division, the Liga Orangina. Understand? I hope I haven't confused you :D.

Boa play in the North tier and although they are predicted to finish first, the team is incredibly poor so I want to bring in a whole new squad. Thankfully, their reputation is still pretty good so that should make signing players a little easier. We also have a massive debt to clear which might restrict us a bit.

So my goals for the first season are as follows:

• Win the North tier
  • Reduce the wage bill
  • Have a decent cup run
  • Sign a team who can compete in the second division also

So there we are. I hope I haven't bored you too much :D. I have had a quick run through with them on the Beta, but I will start a proper game with them tomorrow and hopefully make a half-season post by the weekend. I hope you enjoyed my first post, and if you have any feedback or advice that would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading guys.

newport_signature_zps945d3c1b.png

#2 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

Cool FM 12 carrer and hopefully you will replicate it this year, good luck! :D
  • Archie likes this

#3 NUFCdan

NUFCdan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Good Luck!
  • Archie likes this

Follow me on Twitter - @danwright1999

#4 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

If that was only the introduction I can't wait for the real story! Good luck!
  • Archie likes this

#5 Celticbhoy

Celticbhoy

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:12 AM

Good luck with your story! Don't know if I'll be able to follow it with Boavista knocking Celtic out ;)
  • Archie likes this

#6 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Good luck with your story! Don't know if I'll be able to follow it with Boavista knocking Celtic out ;)

I hope you enjoy it. Also, Boavista lost that game, Celtic played Porto in the final, here's a video if you like.

If that was only the introduction I can't wait for the real story! Good luck!

Thanks much!

Good Luck!

Thanks, I'll be following your story too!

Cool FM 12 carrer and hopefully you will replicate it this year, good luck! :D

Cheers, hopefully I can get a team as good as my old Gloucester side.

Like I say, I have justed loaded up the game so hopefully I'll make the first post in a couple of days. Thanks Everyone :D

#7 kevin

kevin

Icon

• FM13 Story of the Year
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Great introduction..well done!
  • Archie likes this

#8 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Great introduction..well done!

Thanks alot Kevin, really enjoyed your story last year and I must say I'm looking forward to the challenge.

#9 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hello one and all, and welcome back to Boavista. So as you know, the club was strongly expected to get promotion with ease, we were 1-2 on to be promoted. The bookies obviously hadn't looked at our team though because other than a few key players, they were awful.

First things first, I released everyone I deemed deadwood. That was literally everyone, I think we were left with about 5 players in the entire club end. It wasn't cheap, but in the long run it will be worth it.

Posted Image

I brought in about 20 players, I wont bother posting them because I'm lazy :) but just take my word for it that they are so much better, at a fraction of the price.

Onto the friendlies where we had mixed success. We beat premier division side Gil Vicente which was nice, as well as a good draw with Beira-Mar, before we drew with Spanish side Girona. We then lost to Liga Orangina side Olivierense and Italian giants Palmero before ending pre-seson with a win against fellow second division club Espinho. All in all, the results were pleasing and gave me an idea about my first team.

Posted Image

This is the tactic and first team I've decided to use. I did start off using a 4-5-1 for the first couple of months, but I couldnt get the team to create any clear cut chances whatsoever. I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem with short passing tactics, but I couldn't get them to put the ball in the box, and the midfield just passed it among themselves. Maybe it's just me.

Posted Image

But this tactic has worked better so far. The advanced playmakers cut inside and try to make through balls, and the full backs provide extra width. Its pretty solid defensively and it works very well on the counter.

Here are the league results so far. As you can see we have some good results in there, although we have struggled to score goals. In fact I have about 5 joint top scorers, all of them have 3 goals (and one of them is a fullback). We have dominated in possession almost every game, but like I say, struggled to create chances. The games we have won have virtually all been by 1 goal margins, so thats one thing I'm trying to improve.

Posted Image

But overall, I'm very pleased how we are playing. We have only lost one game (which we were destroyed in tbh) and have a healthy 5 point gap over second place with 15 games left to play. I think another 10 wins should guarantee 1st place and a place in the promotion play offs.

Posted Image

We are also in the Taca de Portugal, the national cup. Despite an easy draw, we haven't played well. After a simple win against Cacaidores Taipas, we were taken into extra time the next 3 games against non-league opposition and required penalties to beat Oeiras.

So when we drew Premier league side Rio Ave in the fifth round, I was confident that our cup run was over. However, the boys produced their best performance of the season to win the game and take us into the quarter finals. I dont know who we are playing yet, but I think we have had an excellent run.

Posted Image

So there we are, I'm happy with our progress so far. We are on course to win promotion and we need to because our finances aren't looking good. I'll leave with our player ratings and the 3 best players so far.

Posted Image

3rd:

Posted Image

A solid and consistent center back, and has pitched in with a couple of goals.

2nd:

Posted Image

My best player in terms of attributes, has dropped back a bit since his explosive start.

1st:

Posted Image

Excellent both defensively and offensively, my best player so far.

Thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoyed the post and my first half to the season. Let me know if you think there is anything I can improve on in the layout or style. I will post the final season update on the weekend sometime.

#10 NUFCdan

NUFCdan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

You have done extremely well in both league and cup!

#11 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Great Cup run, and promotion isn't (or whatever you get, confusing rules lol) far off, good luck for the end! And it's not just you! In my tactic even if I had it on overload my players would tend to just pass it outside the box quite frustratingly but I think I've fixed that. Quite ironic, as I couldn't get them to do this in FM12

#12 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Excellent start to the season mate, with a great cup run too! Also that tactic looks pretty cool. ;)

#13 Rye16

Rye16

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Great start, good luck with the remainder of the season :)

"Please don't call me arrogant, but i'm European champion and I think i'm the special one" - Jose Mourinho

Have a read of my FM14 story: http://www.footballm...hanging-styles/

2qlxruq.png

#14 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

You have done extremely well in both league and cup!

Cheers mate, we have rode our luck a little bit but hopefully we can really get motoring and win promtion.

Great Cup run, and promotion isn't (or whatever you get, confusing rules lol) far off, good luck for the end! And it's not just you! In my tactic even if I had it on overload my players would tend to just pass it outside the box quite frustratingly but I think I've fixed that. Quite ironic, as I couldn't get them to do this in FM12

Thanks, this tactic isn't great but it's working a lot better for creating chances.

Excellent start to the season mate, with a great cup run too! Also that tactic looks pretty cool. ;)

Thanks, don't let it fool you, the tactics pretty simple really.

Great start, good luck with the remainder of the season :)

Thanks you, I just hope we don't slip up at all.

#15 kinslerformvp

kinslerformvp

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:03 AM

good looks man. I also had the same problem with the 4-5-1 (in lower leagues). Lots of possession, but very few chances

#16 kevin

kevin

Icon

• FM13 Story of the Year
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

A tidy little start to your first season. You must be please with that.

#17 vaibhavc

vaibhavc

• Moderators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

Excellent start mate, you must be very happy with it.
FMS Forum Moderator.
Man United <3

#18 Archie

Archie

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

Good evening everybody and welcome to the end of season update at Boavista FC. After a good first half of the year, we were top of the league and 5 points clear of second as well as reaching the quarter finals of the Taca de Portugal.

As it turned out, we were drew with Liga Zon Sagres (top division) side Martimo. We had a good go but their superiority meant that we were beaten quite comfortably. Hopefully it wont be long before I have my revenge.

Posted Image

That defeat allowed us to concentrate on the league. We had to win it to stand a chance of promotion. We struggled at first, with a run of 4 draws in 5 games left us hanging onto the top of the league by 1 point. It wasnt difficult to understand why we found scoring so difficult when the opposition where defending with 10 men behind the ball. And this was happening almost every match

Posted Image

But after that, I tweaked my tactic slightly and changed our match preparation to focus on attacking movement and this seemed to help us in the final third. That dramatically improved results.

Posted Image

So was that enough to secure the league title...

Spoiler

Yes it was. We finished 9 points above 2nd which put us into the second phase: the confusing round-robin thing.

However, I must now confess that I was wrong about something. It turns out that you dont have to come 1st or 2nd in the second phase thing to get promoted; all we had to do is win the north league. So that meant:

BOAVISTA ARE PROMOTED TO THE LIGA ORANGINA

We still play in the second phase against the winners of the central and south divisions. I'm not sure what for, perhaps to decide the overall winners of the whole division. I haven't played them yet, I am going to post those matches Monday in a special report. Here is the second phase group:

Posted Image

We play the other two teams twice, the overall winners winning... something, I don't have a clue to be honest.

Here are the final player ratings and my top 3 players...

Posted Image

3rd:

Posted Image

Yali-Yali only joined in January, but his return of 4 goals and 4 assists in 10 games makes him worthy of my top 3.

2nd:

Posted Image

Tche was again excellent, but a couple of dodgy performances drop him into second.

1st:

Posted Image

Fernando wins the award for my player of the season, with 5 goals and 13 assists. Getting on a bit now, but still has what it takes to be a key player for us in the next division.

So there we have it. In the end, promotion was very simple and easier than expected. The tweaked tactic seems to have improved our attacking threat and hopefully we can carry our good form into next season.

Anyways, I'm off for a few drinks to try and forget about the Arsenal result :( . Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Byeeeeeee.

#19 NUFCdan

NUFCdan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

You did extremely well this season!

#20 vaibhavc

vaibhavc

• Moderators
  • 1,366 posts
  • LocationBahrain

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Congrats on promotion mate! You deserved it. The slight change in tactics was a good call.
FMS Forum Moderator.
Man United <3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users