FM14 Stories

Photo

Frattonising With Debt - A Portsmouth Story (Fm14)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWigan/Huddersfield

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

As i'm sure most football fans are aware, financial hardships at Fratton Park have seen possibly the biggest fall from grace in the history of the game. From the lofty heights of 2008, which saw Pompey as a comfortable top half team and success in the FA cup, to the dismal dungeon that is League Two football. What a difference 5 years makes... I digress.

I am hoping to bring the winds of change to Portsmouth, restoring them to their former glory. I will be posting regularly with updates of how I'm getting on. But for now, it's time to get in game and make FM history!

#2 Pedro Roriz

Pedro Roriz

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

great so see you trying to make things better for a sleeping big team! why do you give a chance for sleeping giant challenge? rangers, notts co, pompeys, la coruna, perugia, leeds, palmeiras: make all of them winning teams!

#3 Ian Cole

Ian Cole

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationCastleford, Near Leeds

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

great so see you trying to make things better for a sleeping big team! why do you give a chance for sleeping giant challenge? rangers, notts co, pompeys, la coruna, perugia, leeds, palmeiras: make all of them winning teams!

Great idea Pedro you could maybe add Wolves to that list too.

With that being said, Pompey alone will be a huge task in itself so all the best mate.

• NikoZolo likes this

#4 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Portsmouth_FC_crest_2008.png

Update #1

And so begins the journey... Naturally, I was given an impressive sum of £0 to spend in the transfer market this summer, so I decided to dip my toes into the loan market as well as looking to pick up a golden oldie or two on a free. What Portsmouth really seemed to be lacking was wide players and central defense, so that was the priority. My first piece of business was to secure Donal McDermott on loan from Bournemouth. He looks more than capable of doing a job in League Two and provides that much needed width. As for a defender, I managed to get one Aaron Mokoena to sign on the dotted line, after impressing on a trial.

Throughout pre-season I noticed a constant theme of leaking goals from goalkeeping howlers... Perhaps it is down to the game still being in Beta, or maybe Phil Smith just isn't up to it. Either way, I wasn't taking any risks and decided to snap up young Neil Etheridge for the season off Fulham. With these three players and a few staff additions, my wage budget was really stretched so this concluded my transfer business.

The league begins this week as I play host to Oxford and i'm feeling really confident! Having replaced the goalkeeper and tightened up defence, i'm coming into the game, having scored 11 in 2 and conceded 0. Albeit I played Bognor Regis and Havant & Waterlooville but still, the fact young Neil is yet to concede gives me encouragement.

Links for player profiles posted below:

http://i39.tinypic.com/ngc9xh.jpg - McDermott

http://i43.tinypic.com/2s6slth.jpg - Mokoena

http://i44.tinypic.com/2v13jsy.jpg - Etheridge

#5 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

With that being said, Pompey alone will be a huge task in itself so all the best mate.

Might be one to consider Pedro! However, as Ian says, I think my dance card will be pretty full with Portsmouth alone... I might try Deportivo some time in the future though!

#6 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,663 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:32 PM

Welcome to the forum blue :)

Good luck getting Pompey back up to the premier league, really did enjoy some of their football under Redknapp. 

Posted Image

#7 kevin

kevin

Icon

• FM13 Story of the Year
  • 1,657 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Goof luck with this Portsmouth effort in bringing them back to the top flight.

#8 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to the forum blue :)

Good luck getting Pompey back up to the premier league, really did enjoy some of their football under Redknapp. 

Goof luck with this Portsmouth effort in bringing them back to the top flight.

Thanks guys.. A few games into the season now.. Next update will be due in the next few days :)

#9 aLan

aLan

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

Welcome and good luck with Pompey! Tough challenge though!

------ WORLD CUP JOURNEY ------

First stop : FRANCE

Loaded countries (Trophies to win): 

Uruguay (First Division)

Italy (Serie A, Italian Cup, Super Cup [optional])

France (Ligue 1, French CupCoupe de la Ligue, Champion Trophy [optional])

#10 NikoZolo

NikoZolo

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

My thoughts Exactly!! Wolves is just begging to be given a run in on FM14

#11 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

My thoughts Exactly!! Wolves is just begging to be given a run in on FM14

I've been thinking about doing a one year promotion challenge with Coventry myself.. Starting on -10 is something different at least!

#12 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Update #2

The transfer window has slammed shut and it's time to get down to business! Currently sat 6th in the table after five games and only one of two teams still unbeaten in the league (the other being Exeter), although I admit I've dropped points by drawing games I really should have won! As my results list shows below, I have placed little-to-no priority on cup competition this season and given my reserves a chance to impress... They did not. Although, it has proven I was right to replace Phil Smith as he conceded eight goals in the two games that he has featured in... Perhaps it is now time for him to retire gracefully and time to consider promoting John Sullivan as my number two goalkeeper.

I've sent a few youngsters out on loan to various teams in the Skrill Premiership and below. Not really expecting much from them however as by the time they are ready for League Two Football, I'm hoping to either be in League One or perhaps the Championship! I also made the decision to not renew Bondz N'Gala's contract (expires at the end of August) in an attempt to reduce the wage bill somewhat.. With loan repayments now being made, it's going to be very tight this year as far as money is concerned!

Apart from that, nothing much has really happened. Will post my next update at the start of the January window!

11rypah.png

#13 mufcvarun

mufcvarun

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Looks a challenging test so all the best mate!

Please read my story: You'll Never Walk Alone

"It is unfortunate but I am the manager of the most famous club in the world. Not Newcastle, a wee club in the north east. - Sir Alex Ferguson

#14 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

Decent start should hopefully get better too.

Posted Image

#15 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

Portsmouth are one of the teams I really want to manage later this year, such a sad story of such a steep fall for a club. Not a bad start and hopefully things will be looking up, good luck. 

#16 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,663 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

Tough start pal, but you were always going to find it hard to get a team like Pompey going!
Posted Image

#17 TheMoff

TheMoff

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Update #3

January is here and there's a new face at Fratton Park! Aaron McClean was released by the Tigers in early December and I jumped at the chance to snap him up to add to an aging strikeforce. Both David Connolly, 36, and Patrick Agyemang, 33, have been struggling for fitness and with the inconsistency of Ashley Harris and the fact that Ryan Bird is about as good as a box of old socks, I felt this addition was necessary and will hopefully pay off as the season unfolds.

Speaking of the season, unpredictable would be the word. I had a miniature crisis in September with short-term injuries and suspensions, which was probably responsible for a lot of points dropped. Another problem I'm trying to deal with is that of Neil Etheridge playing for the Phillipines as the alternatives in the squad... Well... We won't discuss them. After that spell of 8 games without a win, I managed 18 points from the next 8 games, which put me right back on track. The table has now taken shape and i'm currently sat in 5th and only 2 points away from the automatic promotion places.

I'm really starting to worry about the finances at the club. Losing key players such as Marcos Painter seems inevitable as I cannot meet their very reasonable wage demands. I'm now wondering whether or not I have the finance to be competitive next season, assuming I get promoted. Time will tell but I'm expecting many loan deals!

McClean - http://i.imgur.com/9MschTb.jpg?1

PJlPqqA.jpg?1

#18 Patrick Elliott

Patrick Elliott

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Very impressive in the league, considering all the problems you are facing. Try not to worry about next year, nothing you can do about the finances at this point. Just keep getting points and I'm sure you will find yourself closer to gaining promotion. Good Luck!

#19 Sir robby bobson

Sir robby bobson

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:24 AM

Good story taking shape here by the looks of it.As Patrick above said theres nothing you can do about the finances really.All you can hope for is good form and the luck of injuries and suspension being minimum.Media prediction at start for pompeyis 1st but I think anyone would do well to get automatic promotion.All the best mate and looking forward to your next update.

#20 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,663 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Good addition in McLean mate, he's certainly a prolific striker if you play him right. 

Again as the others have reiterated, don't worry about the financial situation.. it will sort itself out in time.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users