15 replies to this topic

#1 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Tactics have changed very much on FM 14. Long gone are the days of the sliders and the tick boxes, it's a whole new ball game now.

This year their are some new roles which some may investiagte into and that's what I decided to do.

The false nine is one of them and I use Cisse their for Newcastle in a 4 1 2 2 1 formation which seems to work very well. The false nine role is something that seems very good to work in the match engine.

Another is the full backs, I've been looking as playing them as Wing Backs and they also work a treat.

So has anyone else noticed any specfic roles or shouts that work well?

#2 scottwalker

scottwalker

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationCarlisle

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

In my Carlisle save i'm using more direct and push higher up. Very basic long ball football but works well in the lower leagues

FM 14, Well someone has to do it the . . .

San Marino Challenge

http://www.footballm...arino-update-1/

The ball now is out for a corner kick to Carlisle United will they have time to take it? Referee looks at his watch and up goes Jimmy Glass, Carlisle United goalkeeper Jimmy Glass,  There is not one player in the Carlisle United half, the corner kick comes in and the goalkeepers punched it and JIMMY GLASS HAS SCORED, Jimmy Glass, Jimmy Glass the goalkeeper has scored a goal for Carlisle United.               Derek Lacey R.I.P

#3 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Exactly the same as yourself Gaurav, I have a tactic that works with F9 and wing backs in the same shape I use every year but one of the MC's dropped to DMC.

Posted Image

#4 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

In my Carlisle save i'm using more direct and push higher up. Very basic long ball football but works well in the lower leagues

Even when I manage in the lower leagues I like to get my side to play fluid football but I guess it's a choice of preference really. 

Exactly the same as yourself Gaurav, I have a tactic that works with F9 and wing backs in the same shape I use every year but one of the MC's dropped to DMC.

I have the exact formation, seems very strong this year, what's yours like? 

Mine is quite simple with two wing backs, a centre back, ball playing defender, anchor man, box to box, advanced playmarker then two inside forwards and a false nine. 

#5 Ainvar

Ainvar

Backup player

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

False nine works very good with me too, paired with a Poacher with attaccking duties it gave me good results. Despite having an average position lower than the Poach (interesting that it is lower but not directly behind the striker like an Enganche would do) my F9 scored more, thanks to the Poacher dragging the defense attention to him and thus leaving my F9 more free. To be honest that's something I would expect from the Shadow Striker position, but I don't complain looking at the results!

#6 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Almost exactly the same, only difference is two box to box midfielders and one of my wingers is actually a winger. Oh and the central defender has cover duty.

Worked very well with Newcastle, strikers didn't score much but the rest of the team did, tried it in Italy though and not as good.

Posted Image

#7 Ainvar

Ainvar

Backup player

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

Another update from me, the Complete Wing Back looks to work great!

I never ever played Wing Backs in a full back position (in line with the centre-backs), so I cannot tell the differences though. I switched from Full-Backs to Complete Wing-Backs as my starting two were highly rated in the role, and their average rating jumped up; my DR from 6.78 went to 7.24 after 10 games in the new position!

Instruction wise I tell them to mark tightly, close down more and tackle hard to make sure they are always busy in defensive moments and shoot less often (seems that long shots in FM14 never go in...). I didn't see an increase in number of assist that they put out, but the rating of my full backs (now I have to get used to call them wing backs :P) is really higher, and I saw some nice offensive textures happening, involving the wing back, wide midfielder and the False 9.

I'm really excited to see how good the new roles work, will need to test Half Back and Wide Target Man but at the moment I don't have the team built for those two roles.

#8 NikoZolo

NikoZolo

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

Another update from me, the Complete Wing Back looks to work great!

I never ever played Wing Backs in a full back position (in line with the centre-backs), so I cannot tell the differences though. I switched from Full-Backs to Complete Wing-Backs as my starting two were highly rated in the role, and their average rating jumped up; my DR from 6.78 went to 7.24 after 10 games in the new position!

Instruction wise I tell them to mark tightly, close down more and tackle hard to make sure they are always busy in defensive moments and shoot less often (seems that long shots in FM14 never go in...). I didn't see an increase in number of assist that they put out, but the rating of my full backs (now I have to get used to call them wing backs :P) is really higher, and I saw some nice offensive textures happening, involving the wing back, wide midfielder and the False 9.

I'm really excited to see how good the new roles work, will need to test Half Back and Wide Target Man but at the moment I don't have the team built for those two roles.

I am receiving the same success with my COMPLETE WINGBACKS.  I try not to give them too many defensive instructions (as they seem to only attack anyways).  However, I do have a sick feeling in my stomach that SI will "nerf" certain success-rates of roles like CWB after the full release.  Ten games into my NUFC save and Debuchy has 2 goals and 12 assists and Santon has 6 assists.  My suggestion is making sure that CWB's have "overlapping runs" enabled as an instruction. Works wonders for me.

#9 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

From my view the wing backs are very good with support duty. I have since changed formation to a flat 3 in midfield... Thing that"s annoying me is inside forwards aren't as deadly as last year :(

So ATM I'm using 4 3 2 1 and might do a post about it some time in the next few days, the instructions I think that work well are: High tempo, hassle opponents, shorter passing and push higher up.

#10 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Most games when I'm losing changing to "much higher defensive line" seems to work very well, completely throws the opposition on the back foot. Also I'm liking the deep lying forward role this year: he seemed to drop just the right amount and is also quite good in bringing others into play. 

#11 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Most games when I'm losing changing to "much higher defensive line" seems to work very well, completely throws the opposition on the back foot. Also I'm liking the deep lying forward role this year: he seemed to drop just the right amount and is also quite good in bringing others into play.

Interesting, I'll have a look. Who are you managing mate?

#12 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for asking. I'm doing Swansea this year, with the main intentions of doing my longest save ever and I really wanna bring through some sort of golden generation of regens through. On that note I think the financial fair play rule brought in will make things a lot harder for everybody, and I doubt people will be able to buy their way to the league year in year out anymore, which should make the game more fun.

Who are you managing this year? And are you writing it up? I always enjoyed your stories.

#13 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for asking. I'm doing Swansea this year, with the main intentions of doing my longest save ever and I really wanna bring through some sort of golden generation of regens through. On that note I think the financial fair play rule brought in will make things a lot harder for everybody, and I doubt people will be able to buy their way to the league year in year out anymore, which should make the game more fun.

Who are you managing this year? And are you writing it up? I always enjoyed your stories.

TBH I don't know if I'm going to write, in 2 minds really and need to think over it due to time restricts. What your doing with Swansea is along the lines I'm doing with Newcastle, 3 seasons in and things going very well indeed:) 

What about yourself, will we be seeing a story from you this year? I would love to see you writing. 

#14 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

TBH I don't know if I'm going to write, in 2 minds really and need to think over it due to time restricts. What your doing with Swansea is along the lines I'm doing with Newcastle, 3 seasons in and things going very well indeed:) 

What about yourself, will we be seeing a story from you this year? I would love to see you writing. 

One day. Oh, one day  :). I just need a few more years to continuously steal ideas from you guys and then I'll manufacture the perfect story :D.

In all seriousness though, hopefully one day I'll do one but only when I can steal a bit of time from somewhere.

#15 eightnight

eightnight

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

Im having trouble sorting out the striker role. Im using pretty much Darrens 451 but changed some of the roles. Im testing with Spurs, and their strikers are very much of the poaching persuasion, but Im thinking complete fwd... any thoughts?

Current story: 

Climbing The Pyramid

#16 Ainvar

Ainvar

Backup player

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well, something I would like to try is to go with the Shadow Striker, but I never had the chance of doing it. Then don't know how it works, but a 4-5-1 with the striker in AMC position (shadow striker) always interested me, maybe you could give it a go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users