FM14 Stories

Photo

Opinions On This Attacking 2-2-1-3-2 Formation... Is It Too Attacking?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hey everyone, I'm into pre season of season 6 with my Southampton team as you will know if you've read my story. We play good football as it is but when my main striker loses form, we can struggle in terms of scoring enough. This new tactic is designed so that I can have two strikers but still keep my three AMC's, which are my best players. 

0isq.jpg

As you can see, we have short passing, quick tempo and roaming allowed in a fluid attacking strategy. I wouldn't use this against the best teams but I was thinking that it should lead to lots of goals. The center backs will have more direct passing as I don't want them and the keeper pointlessly passing to each other.

What I was hoping to hear, is if you think this will be too attacking? I am concerned that we will be caught on the break a lot. Please let me know your thoughts and feel free to ask any questions. Thanks guys.

Posted Image

#2 Jack

Jack

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

I know how frustrating it is when you have lots of good strikers and attacking midfielders and want to play them all! It does seem quite attacking. Maybe arrange some friendlies in pre-season against good teams and see how it does? I would probably put the wing backs as full backs on defend (although that wouldn't suit those two full backs in particular), drop gosselin into defensive mid (if he can't play there get a quality defensiv mid, maybe Pardo haha  :lol: ) in the anchor man role. tbh I would just rotate the players  :P

• Edd the red likes this

My Pentagon Challenge Story

"I certainly wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one" - Brian Clough

#3 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

I know how frustrating it is when you have lots of good strikers and attacking midfielders and want to play them all! It does seem quite attacking. Maybe arrange some friendlies in pre-season against good teams and see how it does? I would probably put the wing backs as full backs on defend (although that wouldn't suit those two full backs in particular), drop gosselin into defensive mid (if he can't play there get a quality defensiv mid, maybe Pardo haha  :lol: ) in the anchor man role. tbh I would just rotate the players  :P

Cheers for responding Jack. I will probably drop the wing backs into full backs but don't think I will set Clyne to defend as he is so improtant going forward. Gosselin can play as a deep lying playmaker but he is so much better as a bob to box midfielder. Will do what you say and play some decent teams in pre season, will see how it goes. And spoiler for the next update here, Pardo is gone! I would have flown him out myself ;)  

Posted Image

#4 Chris/Morozov95

Chris/Morozov95

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:23 AM

Well it certainly looks like you would be able to score plenty of goals. But defensively it looks a tad weak. If you want to keep the same number of AMs, STs etc, maybe consider changing:

- Gosseling to a BWM (D)

- Adjust the AM roles to, say: 2 AM (S) and 1 AP (S or A). IMO, you'll have enough width coming from your two wingbacks (as they are set to automatic duty), so i don't see any need to keep the IF role for this formation.

But I agree with Jack that you should just rotate your players more ;)

FM Mentality - "Never take your foot off the pedal."

Come over and read my Aldershot Town story here

#5 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:00 AM

Well it certainly looks like you would be able to score plenty of goals. But defensively it looks a tad weak. If you want to keep the same number of AMs, STs etc, maybe consider changing:

- Gosseling to a BWM (D)

- Adjust the AM roles to, say: 2 AM (S) and 1 AP (S or A). IMO, you'll have enough width coming from your two wingbacks (as they are set to automatic duty), so i don't see any need to keep the IF role for this formation.

But I agree with Jack that you should just rotate your players more ;)

Well Halilovic and Stanciu contribute with a lot of goals when I use them as inside forwards so I'm against changing their roles as the attacking mid never really does anything for me.I have moved one of the AMC's to a DM and it works quite nicely. Think I will have to choose between having 3 AMC's or 2 strikers unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice and I should try to rotate more.

Posted Image

#6 saltwater

saltwater

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:33 PM

I often find myself stuck between choosing 2 strikers and a certain number of AMs. There seems to be this misconception in my opinion that Wing Backs can only be effective when a player is in the official wing back position, but they work equally as well in the full back position on the wing back role. So I would drop Clyne and Armero (both wonderfully attacking players) but retain the wing back role, change Gosselin to DLP but make him sit right in front of the defence and I would also alter all the player instructions of the AMs and and change their mentality to "normal" so they will get back and help the team win the ball back as well. May I recommend a narrow 4-1-2-1-2, as it seems it could suit your team to some extent.

#7 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

I often find myself stuck between choosing 2 strikers and a certain number of AMs. There seems to be this misconception in my opinion that Wing Backs can only be effective when a player is in the official wing back position, but they work equally as well in the full back position on the wing back role. So I would drop Clyne and Armero (both wonderfully attacking players) but retain the wing back role, change Gosselin to DLP but make him sit right in front of the defence and I would also alter all the player instructions of the AMs and and change their mentality to "normal" so they will get back and help the team win the ball back as well. May I recommend a narrow 4-1-2-1-2, as it seems it could suit your team to some extent.

Thanks for your advice. I will only use the two striker formation for games I really should win or if Ferreyra goes on one of his droughts. You made some interesting points and I will look at that formation and see if it works :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users