#1 Levi

Levi

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hey everyone,

As you can see this is my first post on the forums. Football manager stories are always something I've considered as it marries two great passions for Football Manager and, well, writing stories! And lately FM has been getting a bit stale so the idea of chronicling a save certainly feels like it will freshen everything up. Hopefully I can do the writing itself justice and give everyone else something to read and enjoy as much as I enjoy reading the other stories on these boards. There's a lot of talent to compete with.

Anyway, I won't be doing this alone. It will be an online game with my friend Ross who I expect will leap in underneath and post his own intro. The plan is to take on two teams from London with unique challenges. QPR, as we've just seen, were relegated this season and are filled with overpaid, underperforming superstars. It's a club in need of immediate overhaul. Ross will be accepting that challenge while I go to Chelsea and attempt to work under the most demanding chairman the Premier League has ever known, battling the inevitability of an aging side and a bottomless pit of money that may finally be drying up. My task may be nothing more than managing the decline of the club but I hope I can keep Chelsea at the top for as long as possible.

In any case we're going to get right onto this and update you all at the end of August with the transfer window slamming shut and the first league fixtures under our belt. Hope everyone enjoys the ride. Let's hope London blues don't set in too early!

Quick note on the challenge: We will both be set as Sunday League reputation. Ross isn't thrilled by the idea but I've put my foot down!

• latoyadg4 likes this

Chelsea-Oldiesv2.jpg

#2 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

Will be interesting to see which one of you has the more successful reign. I've always enjoyed network stories. Good luck :)

Posted Image

#3 Ross

Ross

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hello everyone!

I won't be adding too much to what Levi has said, but, as he says, this isn't your normal "revival/arrival" story; in QPR and Chelsea, we have clubs in need of an overhaul, both on and off the field. Neither side has garnered national sympathy for their various trials and tribulations, but we're looking to change all that. We'll be updating you on our individual summers soon! 

2itfsdz.jpg

London Blues

#4 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Good luck guys, look forward to the story. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Posted Image

#5 Jack

Jack

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

good luck with this :) . qpr are a very hard team to manage in my experience on this game!

My Pentagon Challenge Story

"I certainly wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one" - Brian Clough

#6 Levi

Levi

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

UPDATE: JULY 1ST-AUGUST 31ST 2013

This review takes us to the end of August. It won’t be typical of the others because generally we’ll just do match reports with a section in between games for anything else we want to discuss, but this time not only do we have a transfer window but it’s also our club debuts, so it may be a bit rambling. Just bear with us, we’re still deciding on formats and it will get a bit more linear and tidy later on. Anyway, onto the first two months of our careers…

14/07/2013

GILL APPOINTMENT STUNS STAMFORD BRIDGE

Appointment_zpse428b1be.png

Roman Abramovich has once again courted controversy at Stamford Bridge by sensationally relieving Rafa Benitez of his duties as First Team Coach mere days after his appointment. It was of course hardy a secret that fans resented Benitez, a feud dating back to his days at Liverpool, but the decision to replace him with former England international Levi Gill is said to have taken even Abramovich’s closest acolytes by complete surprise. Gill, 25, is, needless to say, a recognised name, scoring 11 goals for England in only 29 caps in a career cruelly cut short by injury, but the decision to hand him his first managerial job at arguably the most demanding club in world football has nevertheless raised eyebrows within the football community. Gill is said to be delighted to have been given the opportunity and, while coy about his relationship to the owner and his ambitions for the coming season, has expressed a confidence in his ability and that of the players to build upon Roberto Di Matteo’s success in winning the FA Cup and Champions Cup. Whether he can back these words up remains to be seen, but if he does not then – unless Roman Abramovich has fundamentally changed – few would hold out hope of Gill receiving an extension to his present one-year deal.

07/08/2013

GILL ANNOUNCES THE END OF CHELSEA’S TRANSFER BUSINESS

Transfersin_zps1a4989d7.png

TransfersOut_zps4658dc53.png

Levi Gill has confirmed to Sky Sports sources that Chelsea’s Summer transfer business is concluded. In an exclusive interview he is quoted as claiming that Chelsea have “added wisely” to the European Cup-winning squad that he inherited and that he was particularly excited about the potential of Thiago Alcantara. “He has a knock that we were aware of and that we made an allowance for in the medical. I wouldn’t expect him to appear for the first team until early September,” said Gill. “But he’s a real talent, the boy, and Tito Vilanova certainly didn’t give him up without a fight. The fact that he has chosen to leave Barcelona – for me the greatest side in the world right now, despite ourselves winning the Champions League last year – really speaks to his ambition. He’s seen something in Chelsea, as we have in him. And we all hope to go to the next level together.”

In addition to Thiago, Chelsea have acquired Nathaniel Clyne. The Southampton youngster is widely regarded to have a bright future in football and the mood among Chelsea fans is cautious optimism. Gills’ third and final signing, however, has been treated with much more scepticism. Moving quickly after his appointment he snapped up Bolton Darren Pratley, formerly of Fulham and Swansea, a player who has often hinted at his potential but never realised it. An outlay of £3,000,000 was too much for the fans, one prominent spokesman claiming that Gill had “shown his inexperience” in taking such a gamble. While Chelsea’s fan base has often been noted for its short-termism and a resentment of anyone or anything that the messianic Jose Mourinho did not touch, this time the wider community believes them to be justified. Has Roman Abramovich pushed them too far this time? Whatever the circumstances one thing is for sure: rookie manager Levi Gill’s fate is now bound to that of Darren Pratley and his Chelsea side. If they get off to a bad start, failing to win their opening league games and losing the Community Shield or Super Cup, then perhaps the ruthless owner will be forced to act. Gill has rolled the dice, backed by his Russian millions, and kept the core of his side together. Now he must lie in the bed he has made.

08/08/2013

CHELSEA CONCLUDE PRE-SEASON

Pre-Season_zps0c5e65c3.png

Today’s 1-0 victory over Roma at Stamford Bridge brought to an end a mixed pre-season for Chelsea. Despite the highs of tonight and, of course, of dispatching European heavyweights Dortmund 4-0, losses to Napoli and Shenhua will have done nothing to reassure Blues fans who retain scepticism that Levi Gill is the right man for this job. An official club statement has already moved to quell any thoughts of rebellion, announcing pre-season as a “triumph” and concluding that “in both victory and defeat, every Chelsea player gave everything for the club and will have left Levi Gill with much to ponder ahead of his first official match at Wembley, the Community Shield clash with Premier Division winners Man City.” While this rose-tinted view will infuriate Gill’s detractors, an unbiased spectator would be hard pressed to find much to complain about in a series of fixtures which brought some famous wins and ultimately were all about gaining fitness for the sterner tests to come.

12/08/2013

Community Shield

Chelsea (P) 2-2 Man City

Man of the Match: Edin Dzeko

CHELSEA EDGE OUT CHAMPIONS AT WEMBLEY

Match1_zps17191af7.png

It was a dream debut for Levi Gill at Wembley today as controversial signing Darren Pratley led the charge for his Chelsea side, thundering in the opener from sixteen yards. The vicious strike cannoned the woodwork from a first time strike, leaving stand-in goalkeeper Costas Pantilimon helpless as it whistled into the net. The goal silenced Manchester City’s fans inside Wembley, as well as a good portion of Chelsea’s own supporters who had brought banners and chanted songs aimed at both Gill and Pratley. The immediate joy was short-lived,           Edin Dzeko turning the tie completely on its head before the half-time whistle and sending Gill down the tunnel, despite Pratley’s hard work, with fans’ boos ringing in his ears. Nevertheless his players persevered and not 15 minutes into the second half, maligned striker Fernando Torres had dragged his club back into the game courtesy of a tap-in from Aleksandar Kolorov’s suicidal back pass. The scores were now level in a breathless contest that had cantered forward ever since Ashley Cole squandered a penalty in the 27th minute. The sides could not be dividied from then on and it took penalties to separate them. The ever-reliable Frank Lampard set the standard for his teammates in a shootout that went all the way to the 7th man, Darren Pratley scoring again along the way, until at last Branislav Ivanovic’s successful spot kick was met by a sprawling save from his goalkeeper Petr Cech to deny the unfortunate Kolorov, a poor afternoon only worsening for him. Gill led his triumphant squad up the famous steps to collect their medals, and while the Community Shield remains only a showpiece Chelsea fans were unable to contain their enthusiasm for the season ahead. After all, it was not every day you toppled the English champions at Wembley.

19/08/2013

Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal

Man of the Match: Eden Hazard

CHELSEA UP AND RUNNING AGAINST RIVALS ARSENAL

Match2_zps3ead32d7.png

Eden Hazard laid on both goals in his league debut as Chelsea stormed to victory and plundered the spoils against their perennial rivals. Arsene Wenger looked at times powerless to resist, cutting a sorry figure on the touchline as Chelsea exerted a measure of control over the game at every stage. Wojciech Szczesny was unlucky to see himself credited with an own goal as Frank Lampard’s strike cannoned the upright before deflecting in off his back, but despite this misfortune Arsenal were still flattered by Olivier Giroud’s equaliser. Nathaniel Clyne proved that he still had much to learn about playing the game at the highest level, a careless back pass being seized upen by the predatory Frenchman. Clyne would be relieved, however, when the evergreen Frank Lampard rose once more to the occasion, Chelsea’s talisman making the most of a period of dominance by thundering in a trademark 20 yard drive which would ultimately seal victory. Arsenal were robbed of the chance to reply when, eight minutes after Lampard reclaimed the lead for Chelsea, Abou Diaby picked up an idiotic second booking and was dismissed from the field. From then on it was all Chelsea, the Blues fans in full voice as they taunted their local rivals on their way to sealing a famous win. Levi Gill’s Chelsea revolution is well underway, and if he keeps this up he might just become Chelsea’s greatest managerial success since Jose Mourinho departed the club.

25/08/2013

West Ham 0-3 Chelsea

Man of the Match: Frank Lampard

ALLARDYCE’S BOYS HAMMERED BY SUPER FRANK

Match3_zps95642367.png

Chelsea might have taken 73 minutes to get going at Upton Park this afternoon, but once they hit top gear they were a joy to behold. Frank Lampard continued his stellar beginning to the campaign by scoring the first two goals, one from the penalty spot, as his side romped home following a late surge that West Ham simply could not live with. Oscar added the final flourish from the bench, Eden Hazard once again impressing with another assist, but it was stalwart Lampard who took the plaudits today. “It was a team effort,” said man of the match Lampard after the game. “The lads just kept going. To get the two goals was nice but honestly the points mean more.” The only concern for Chelsea fans, and particularly for their manager Levi Gill, was yet another lacklustre display up front from Fernando Torres. The Spaniard has become a code that every Chelsea manager must crack if he wants to succeed, the key to keeping their job seemingly laying in getting the former Liverpool hotshot firing. The fact that Gill has not replaced Torres during his Summer overhaul would suggest that he has faith in his misfiring record signing, but for the lone striker to have one shot – and for it to be off target – on a day when his side registered 24 attempts on goal is simply not good enough. Frank Lampard is now 34 years old and the likes of Oscar and Eden Hazard are young players new to English shores. Can they be expected to rescue Torres every week? This seems a strategy unlikely to bear fruit, but for now Gill and his men could be forgiven for basking in a run of form that has seen them topple Man City at Wembley and then Arsenal at Stamford Bridge en route to leading the embryonic Premier League table. The next stop is Europe and a date with Atletico Madrid in the Super Cup, a one-off contest that Roman Abramovich is known to covet.

30/08/2013

CHELSEA HANDED STRAIGHTFORWARD GROUP

ChampionsLeagueGroup_zpse4059892.png

Chelsea fans can breathe a sigh of relief after missing out on PSG and Juventus, among others, in this evening’s Champions League draw. In Anderlecht, Dinamo Kyiv and Feyernoord, manager Levi Gill would be forced to acknowledge his side’s good fortune. The current holders seem to have a better chance than most of entering their name into the hat for the round of 16.

31/08/2013

Chelsea 3-4 (AET)Atletico Madrid

Man of the Match: Falcao

FALCAO SHOWS CHELSEA WHAT THEY’RE MISSING

Match4_zps84f3ef88.png

Fernando Torres’ luck at Chelsea is such that even when he’s scoring something goes wrong. As he was slotting in Chelsea’s third goal in the 45th minute to leave Atletico Madrid dead and buried, he must have felt as though at long last he was turning the corner. But lurking in the shadows was Falcao, a player many felt Gill would turn to in the off-season to replace his misfiring Spaniard. The Colombian hotshot managed to poach a goal at the very death of the first half to bring it back to 3-1 and that proved the catalyst, Raul Garcia making it 3-2 just six minutes into the 2nd half before Falcao began to run riot. He equalised in the 83rd minute with another trademark clinical finish to take the game to extra time, Chelsea’s players visibly crest-fallen at seeing all of their hard work – and their 3-goal lead – go up in smoke, and then ruthlessly capitalised in the 9th minute of extra time to seal the most dramatic turnaround in Super Cup history. It had all begun so well for Chelsea, Ashley Cole and Branislav Ivanovic putting them 2-0 up inside 25 minutes before Torres looked to have sealed their second trophy of the season. Roman Abramovich was out of his seat and applauding his £50,000,000 acquisition as he made it 3-0, but the night would only sour from there for the Russian billionaire and everyone associated with his club. It is the first sign of trouble for Levi Gill in a period of relentless success since he took the helm. His capture of Thiago has been lauded, positive results have poured in, and even the maligned Darren Pratley has proven his critics wrong. Tonight , however, the Jamaican international was at fault for Falcao’s equaliser and has already taken to Twitter to apologise. While this one result does not represent a wider crisis, Levi Gill would do well to remember the fate of every other manager who has succeeded him at Chelsea under Roman Abramovich. They are rarely afforded time and, Guus Hiddink aside, never leave on their own terms. You get precious few lifelines at Stamford Bridge and tonight Gill – with the help of the unplayable Falcao – has used one of his. Injured Thiago Alcantara was in the stands tonight but is tipped to debut next time out against Liverpool. He cannot arrive on the field soon enough for Chelsea fans.

The Manager’s Thoughts

"So this is the “out of character” section. I have to say I’m delighted with how it’s gone so far. The Super Cup stings, especially as I was told to win it, and to be 3-0 and lose it is unacceptable really. John Terry’s suspension did me no favours because Cahill was weak in deputising, but aside from that we’re ticking along very nicely indeed so far. It was a great summer, offloading high wages and bringing in Thiago and Clyne, great young players. Darren Pratley is something of a trusted acolyte of mine. He won’t let me down – I hope – but the fans are already rebelling. Hopefully between now and the next update (the end of October) we can really kick on in Europe and at home and remove a lot of the poison of that Super Cup result. I know I have to fashion a 20-goal striker out of Torres and Ba to make this season a success, but right now it looks like a huge challenge. Quick note, this wasn’t mentioned earlier: Lukaku was recalled from his loan and he will be stepping up his presence as the season goes on. Hope you enjoy reading. As I said, the next update is at the end of October."

Chelsea-Oldiesv2.jpg

#7 Ross

Ross

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

QPR APPOINT BRAMBLE

4uvvrp.jpg

QPR have today announced the appointment of former England international Ross Bramble as their new first team manager.
The twenty-five year old becomes the third man to take charge of the Hoops this year alone, replacing out-going manager Harry Redknapp.
Unlike his predecessors, Bramble arrives at Loftus Road with no previous managerial experience, but chairman Tony Fernandes has moved to quash any fears surrounding the move.
“We have no fears,” he said. “We need to take a new direction, reinvent the club’s image, and Ross embodies that change.”
Bramble himself has expressed his excitement at the project ahead, despite his new side tipped for a lengthy relegation battle.
“This club has a wonderful structure; from the stands to the boardroom, this club is just determined to succeed,” he said.
“Last season was about survival. Regardless of how it was achieved, it was achieved, so now we must look to progress.”
Rangers have been heavily criticised for its lavish transfer policy in recent seasons, but Bramble has cooled speculation of another summer spending free.
“We have to start being smarter with our money. We won’t be buying willy-nilly--we’ll only be entering the market for the right player.”

---

PRODUCTIVE PRE-SEASON FOR BRAMBLE

Ross Bramble has expressed his delight at a “productive” pre-season schedule after watching his side run out 3-1 winners against Argentinian side Estudiantes.
Goals for Townsend, Bothroyd and Fabio secured a big win for the Hoops as they finished preparations for the coming season is style.
Bramble, who opted to view the game from the stands, spoke post-match at his delight over the progress his new side has made since his arrival.
“It’s gone well, the development is there for all to see,” he said.
“If you look back over the fixtures and results, you can see the progression.  Pre-season can be a necessary evil at times, but we’ve worked hard on our fitness levels and that’s the important thing.”
QPR start their campaign with a daunting away trip to the Premier League champions Manchester City.

---

BRAMBLE PLEASED WITH SUMMER SPENDING

29w27sw.jpg
2q33l03.jpg

QPR boss Ross Bramble has expressed his delight at his side’s summer spending, though admits he would have liked to have seen more players leave.
The deadline deal for Nicklas Helenius took QPR’s spending to £8m, which also included deals for Sunderland’s Jack Colback and Swansea vice-captain Alan Tate.
Speaking exclusively to Sky Sports, he said: “We’re very happy with the acquisitions. We’ve bought wisely and added some great talent.”
“Jack (Colback) is a fabulous addition. He can do it all, and at 22 years old his best years are ahead of him. It’s thanks to the chairman we got that one over the line.”
“We were fortunate enough to bring in Tate and Vukcevic for as little as we did. Both are reliable players, and great personalities to have around.”
Despite the successes, Bramble was left frustrated by certain aspects of the window, with Jose Bosingwa, Adel Taarabt, Ji-Sung Park and Junior Hoilett only leaving on part-time deals.
“Of course we would have liked to have sold those players, but that was the nature of the market. Loans will have to suffice.”
Sky Sports understands the loan deals for Park and Hoilett do, however, include buy-out clauses worth upwards of a combined £7m.

---

FIXTURES AND RESULTS

Spoiler

MANCHESTER CITY 0-2 QPR

smx01v.jpg

Defending champions Manchester City began their defence with a shock 2-0 defeat to Queens Park Rangers.
City came in to the game still stinging from their Community Shield defeat to Chelsea a week prior, and showed few glimpses of their title credentials against the Ross Bramble’s men.
The first half proved a cagey affair with chances falling primarily to the hosts, but composure and fortune seemed to have abandoned the Blues as they watched chance after chance go begging.
An inspired Rangers side returned to the field sensing an opportunity, and duly took the lead through a deflected diving header by captain Chris Samba.
The header seemed bound to bounce wide, but changed course courtesy of an ill-advised swipe from Pablo Zabaleta.
The visitors soon doubled their lead when man of the match Jermaine Jenas curled a free kick past Joe Hart from 25 yards.
The champions finally began to show their ability in the final twenty minutes, but Aguero’s 30 yard strike was denied by the thickness of Julio Cesar’s post.

QPR 2-1 WEST BROM

2hmzbxx.jpg

QPR secured back-to-back wins in the league courtesy of a 2-1 against West Bromwich Albion, despite playing the majority of the match a man light.
The hosts took a deserved lead on 23 minutes, as new signing Jack Colback rode a challenge from Youssouf Mulumbu to slam his strike across Boaz Myhill’s goal.
The 22 year old secured a day of mixed emotions when he earned a second yellow card for diving just 8 minutes later.
Rangers held on until the break, and in fact doubled their advantage 15 minutes after the re-start when Jay Bothroyd knocked a looping header over the on-rushing Myhill.
The game looked set for a grand stand finish as Jonathon Walters slid a low shot past Cesar with 18 minutes remaining, by the Hoops held on to secure back-to-back competitive wins under new manager Ross Bramble.

BRENTFORD 1-0 QPR

25s8jub.jpg

Griffin Park played host to the shock of the second round in the Capitol One Cup, after Brentford secured a famous 1-0 victory over Premier League opponents Queen’s Park Rangers.
The game failed to inspire for large parts, until a goal-mouth scramble culminated in an ultimately decisive own goal from Julio Cesar.
Despite not threatening during the early stages, Brentford took an unlikely lead when Marcelo Trotta’s near post header came back against the woodwork, catching the prone goalkeeper on the back of the head and bobbling across the line.
An early game injury to striker Jay Bothroyd seemed to shake the composure of the Ranger’s front line, as strike partner and transfer listed Loic Remy continued to pass up opportunities to pull his side level.
Bothroyd’s replacement, Bobby Zamora, would also be requiring the stretcher before full time to compound a miserable evening for the Premier League outfit.

MY NOTES

Spoiler

2itfsdz.jpg

London Blues

#8 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:49 AM

Well good starts for both of you guys and very well written :)

Pratley is certainly an interesting signing but he seems to have started well. As for QPR, its a shame you couldn't sell some more players, but at least they are off the wage bill for this year. I do think that you may struggle to stay enthusiastic if you plan on continuing with updates for every match but that is up to you guys. 

Posted Image

#9 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Some good additions from both of you, good luck for the season ahead. 

#10 Ross

Ross

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:31 AM

I won't be doing a report for every match in the future, just a handful of key games, but as there were only three competitive ones for me, and they were all worth reporting, I did them all this time :lol: Cheers for the feedback and support for this, by the way!

2itfsdz.jpg

London Blues

#11 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Decent signings and a very good start for you both there well done.

Posted Image

#12 Jack

Jack

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

good luck for both of you this season :) . not sure on getting rid of hoilett and taarabt though! :unsure:

My Pentagon Challenge Story

"I certainly wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one" - Brian Clough

#13 Levi

Levi

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

good luck for both of you this season :) . not sure on getting rid of hoilett and taarabt though! :unsure:

Neither was I on Taarabt! I looked at him but I decided against it. Strange departure though... #MindGames

Chelsea-Oldiesv2.jpg

#14 Ross

Ross

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

Neither was I on Taarabt! I looked at him but I decided against it. Strange departure though... #MindGames

Taarabt is not my kind of player; a bag of tricks, yes, but not consistent enough for me. Averaging 6.2 at Lille I believe. And Hoilett? Not for 52k a week, thanks. Great potential but he won't play often enough for me to realise it, so there's no point in having that much money leaving every week for no reason.

2itfsdz.jpg

London Blues

#15 Levi

Levi

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

UPDATE: SEPTEMBER - OCTOBER 2013

01-10-2013

CHELSEA’S SEPTEMBER REVIEW

Today’s home game against West Brom should have been nothing more than a formality for Levi Gill’s Chelsea, particularly if their ambitions of silverware are to carry any weight this season. Instead, however, the match was the latest in a catalogue of recent disappointments since Atletico Madrid stunned The Blues in the Super Cup from 3-0 down.

Season1-October-1_zps4783530f.png

Since that night in Monaco, Chelsea have taken just two league point from a possible twelve, a run that sees them rooted in the bottom half of the table. Roman Abramovich, feared throughout the club for his itchy trigger finger when it comes to his managers, is unlikely to hesitate much beyond November’s derby clash with Tottenham before making a decision on the current boss. It has been widely suggested that if Gill has not climbed the table before then he may be seeking alternative employment long before the year is out.

Season1-October-2_zps54658ce2.png

Chief among his problems is the eternally under-achieving Fernando Torres. As the records show, Chelsea managed 31 attempts at goal today, while Torres, their lone striker, contributed only ONE of these. And it was off target. To put that into context, Ryan Bertrand, the young full back, chipped in with two shots, both on target, and was unlucky not to score. Demba Ba does not seem to be settling easily into life at Stamford Bridge and while Romelu Lukaka obviously saw his loan terminated so that he could help fight the fires at his parent club, he is clearly not ready yet to be anything more than a deputy to the misfiring Spaniard. If Gill cannot get through to Torres soon, or find another reliable stream of goals, then his Chelsea adventure looks doomed to failure.

UPDATE: Sky sources understand that a summit meeting has been held between Levi Gill and Fernando Torres. It is suggested that during these talks Torres was told that he risks being forced out of the club in January if he does not begin to score more goals. The player’s reaction is unknown at this time and neither party was available for comment.

06-10-2013

Norwich 0-2 Chelsea

CANARIES SNARED AS TORRES FINDS THE NET

Season1-October-3_zps6207c8ed.png

Fernando Torres turned out for Chelsea for the first time since his crisis talks with manager Levi Gill today, and the turnaround in his fortunes was immediate. Looking sharper in every department, the Spaniard opened the scoring before the outstanding Eden Hazard continued his fine start to London life with a goal of the season candidate after cutting inside and beating two men. The headlines belonged to Torres though, and after the game he looked visibly relieved to be back among the goals. “I’m just trying to keep working very hard,” he said. “My manager and teammates all believe in me and I am starting to believe in myself once again. It won’t be easy, but I hope to repay the money and the support that Chelsea Football Club have invested in me.” It will take many more performances like this before he achieves that, but at last Fernando Torres seems to be on the right path.

20-10-2013

Chelsea 5-1 Reading

BLUES RAMPANT AS READING CAPITULATE

Season1-October-4_zps1bf451a9.png

If Levi Gill and Fernando Torres are both playing (and managing) for their Chelsea careers then they certainly can’t be faulted for effort. The boss looked positively pale when Jason Roberts opened the scoring from a corner in the third minute of the game, perhaps fearing a rerun of the West Brom result of the previous month, but cometh the hour, cometh Fernando Torres. Continuing his recent surge in goal scoring form, Torres rolled back the years to obliterate Reading with three first half goals, the third a twenty five yard free kick that rifled its way into the top corner, bringing Stamford Bridge to their feet in appreciation. While Chelsea never managed to build on their superiority in the second half, the mood in the ground was a mixture of relief and delight throughout. The Blues are climbing the table now and if they can maintain this free-scoring form they should be right in the chasing pack by the end of the month. The manager was understandably elated. “They would beat any team in the land playing like that,” he proudly announced in his post-match conference. “Nobody can live with Nando when he’s on his game and that’s what we’ve been telling him. He can be the catalyst for this club. We could have gone into the market in the summer but instead I’ve stood by Nando and now he needs to repay that faith.” So far so good, it seems.                

01-11-2013

CHELSEA’S OCTOBER REVIEW

Season1-October-5_zps88af1f79.png

Was August a fluke? Or was September a blip? Those were the questions that October seemed destined to answer, and the evidence is certainly good for Chelsea and their fans. Seven games, seven wins and six goals in as many appearances for Fernando Torres. The Blues have begun to settle into Levi Gill’s formation and tactics it seems, relaxing into games and scoring four and five goals against weaker opposition. Qualification from Group F in the Champions League looks assured for the holders, a 100% record the perfect way to answer any doubts about whether Chelsea can realistically hope to retain football’s Holy Grail. The Capital One Cup quarter finals have been reached and the Premier League title race, currently led by Tottenham Hotspur, is wide open.

Season1-October-6_zps9b20006d.png

The first objective for Chelsea was surely to be in contention for the title after ten league games, a feat they will accomplish with a victory over Wigan next time out. The fans may have had their misgivings about the new manager at the helm, and many of them retain their scepticism, but if Gill’s Blues continue their current irresistible form until the turn of the year then the supporters will quickly forget their doubts and jump on board a band wagon that might travel all the way to the title.

UPDATE: The Premier League has just announced Levi Gill as its Manager of the Month, in addition to Player and Goal of the Month awards for young Chelsea star Eden Hazard.

MANAGER’S THOUGHTS

"That October was a huge month for me. Getting Torres (or Ba) scoring goals was essential and it seems like we might have a striker at last. September was brutal and I feared for the job quite honestly, especially with the Super Cup dipping my security before 50% very early on, but 7 wins in a row has rocketed us up the table and helped us make great progress in Europe too. Hazard is tearing teams apart and as long as Torres can knock goals in at a 1:2 ratio I’ll be a happy man. The World Championship will come before the next update and I’d like to think we can wrap that up. Then we’ll take a look at where we are in the league on New Year’s Day see what targets we can realistically set ourselves. Plenty of reason for cautious optimism at this stage though.

Hope everyone enjoyed the update. Advice on… well, anything, is always welcome!"

Chelsea-Oldiesv2.jpg

#16 Ross

Ross

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

DOOR OPEN FOR QPR LOANEES

Ross Bramble has insisted the door is open to any of his exiled QPR stars, after coming under fire for his loan policy at the club's fan forum.
Supporters voiced their disapproval at allowing Junior Hoilett, Adel Taarabt and Park Ji-Sung to leave the R's on loan in the summer transfer window, but Bramble remains open-minded on their futures.
"Of course the door is open. Any of the players we sent on loan can still play a part if they return with the right mentality," he said.
"Out-going transfers were made purely for financial reasons. This club has become synonymous with paying over the odds on players, whether through transfer fees or wages. Their talent has never been questioned."
"We all know that Taarabt and Hoilett are fantastic talents, so it would be foolish of me to say they have no future here."
Bramble did, however, reveal that fellow loanee Jose Bosingwa was not a part of his future plans for the club.
"Jose knows where we stand. Both parties feel it's time to go our separate ways, so hopefully we can sort out a permanent deal sooner than later."
Bosingwa joined Spanish side Espanyol on a season long loan, but has been unable to stop his new side from falling in to La Liga's relegation zone.

---

QUICK RESULTS

33kyc8x.jpg

DETAILED REPORTS (3)

BRAMBLE CALLS FOR PROTECTION

Wigan 1- 0 QPR

28vzi1g.jpg

QPR boss Ross Bramble was left angered by "a distinct lack of protection" from referee John Moss, after watching his side reduced to nine men through injury.
Seok-Young, Derry and Helenius all required the stretcher at the DW Stadium, while experienced striker Andy Johnson was forced off with a knee issue late on.
Despite accumulating four injuries, no Wigan player found themselves entering the referee's book, drawing criticism from the R's boss.
"The result is disappointing, but a direct result of foul play, if you ask me," said a clearly frustrated Bramble.
"Wigan had to reduce us to nine men before they score. On another day, it could have been Wigan on nine men, but the referee hasn't deemed any of those tackles worthy of a card."
"We're not asking for a red card for every tackle that ends with an injury. But our players deserve to be protected in the face of such an approach. We can't stop those tackles without the referee's interference."
Di Santo's late goal takes QPR on to three games without a win, despite opening their campaign with two back to back wins against Manchester City and West Brom.

BRAMBLE DISAPPOINTED WITH DEFEAT

Totteham Hotspurs 2- 0 QPR

200e6ph.jpg

Ross Bramble was left to rue his side's luck as they fell to a 2-0 away defeat to league leaders Tottenham.
Dembele's late goal secured the result for AVB's men, although controversy surrounds the decision to award his side a penalty, when Howard Webb penalised Chris Samba for jumping unfairly with Ola Toivonen.
On the penalty call, Bramble said: "It was the incorrect call."
"I try my best to avoid calling referee's out, they have a tough job. But I deal in facts, and the fact is, the penalty should not have been given."
"We were not at our best today and found chances hard to come by, but our defence was strong. We were comfortable with our play, but goals change games, and that's what you've seen today."
The FA are expected to lease a statement over the comments, though replays indeed showed that the penalty should not have been given.

LUCKLESS QPR LOSE AGAIN

QPR 0-1 Everton

25plfs0.jpg

Lady Luck once again abandoned Queen's Park Rangers, who succumbed to another defeat at the hand of Champion's League chasers Everton.
The R's controlled large portions of the match, but seemed to fall away when Jack Colback's header was waved off by the linesman for challenging the Everton goalkeeper.
Manager Ross Bramble clearly did not share the same view as the official, calling the decision in to question in his post-match comments.
"Jack has done nothing wrong. He's jumped fairly, he's challenged fairly, and ultimately not even touched him (Tim Howard). I'm not sure where the decision has come from."
Five defeats in his opening nine Premier League games has left Bramble as the bookie's favourite in this year's "sack race", but the man himself is calling for perspective.
"We missed a penalty against Fulham, we played with nine men against Wigan, we had a penalty call go against us as Tottenham, Reading pinched a ninety-third minute goal, and now we've had a goal ruled out. We have to keep that in perspective."
"It's a bad run, and no-one is happy with the results. But we have to remember the facts. Who knows where we'd be if we were on the right side of these breaks."
On the back of three defeats, QPR next travel to lowly Sunderland in what appears to be a must-win for both sides.

24ayjww.jpg

MY THOUGHTS

Spoiler

2itfsdz.jpg

London Blues

#17 Edd the red

Edd the red

First team player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Well Chelsea certainly turned it around. A bad month but it was turned around brilliantly in October. Eden Hazard is unstoppable on FM! Interesting to see that you have got Torres scoring again :)

Obviously not going to well with QPR but hopefully you can find a way to get the team improving, turn some of those losses into draws, and then maybe to start to get some wins. Good luck with that and I hope your luck improves. 

Posted Image

#18 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

Very good form towards the end for Chelsea and I'd expect that to remain but looks like a struggle for QPR, there are some good players in the squad though, so a couple of good results could turn things around there.

Posted Image

#19 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Seems like Chelsea are doing better, Torres' attributes have dropped really badly on the new patch and is pretty bad TBH... The 2nd season is even worse, Ba always seemed to be a machine for me, try playing him as a poacher with a 'mixed' supply, seems to do the trick.

For the other side QPR are struggling with inconsistent results but hopefully a winter turnaround is on the horizon. 

#20 Levi

Levi

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

UPDATE: NOVEMBER-DECEMBER 2012

11-11-2012

Tottenham 1-2 Chelsea

OSCAR AWARDS DRAMATIC WIN

Season1-December-1_zpse93ba0d9.png

Chelsea managed to come away from White Hart Lane having derailed the relentless charge of their local rivals. Andre Villas-Boas’ Spurs have been the early pace setters in the Premier League this season but The Blues struck a blow for all of their title rivals by halting the relentless Tottenham march in the late-afternoon sunshine. It was a game marred by poor officiating, each and every foul deemed worthy of a booking, but while the records will show this to be a bad tempered affair the truth is far from this version of reality. Both sides played some magnificent football, Tottenham arguably edging it, but the never-say-die attitude of Gill’s Chelsea was in full display as Oscar rounded the goalkeeper to slot home a dramatic late winner. The title race has been blown wide open. Can Chelsea continue their electric form and scramble to the top of the pile before New Year?

14-11-2012

CHELSEA VOW TO SPEND

Sky sources understand that Levi Gill met with Roman Abramovich this week and discussed his concerns about the likelihood of Fernando Torres and Demba Ba firing the club to silverware. It is believed to have been a candid and frank exchange of views and the rumoured conclusion is that Chelsea’s owner has agreed to sanction January moves for a host of Gill’s top targets. One club insider claimed that it was going to be unprecedented spending. “This will be a big one, definitely. Roman knows that the club is on to something special this year. It’s been a while since our last title and the manager has convinced Roman that a little bit of investment could take us over the top. Our chairman doesn’t do things by halves though. When he spends, he spends big. You can expect several new arrivals.” When pressed on actual figures and whether it was true that Gill might have a much rumoured £100,000,000 war chest at his disposal, the insider would only say “I couldn’t possibly comment on specifics. But it’s a lot.” This news will do little for the confidence of Fernando Torres, who must feel his days as the spearhead of the Chelsea attack are numbered.

UPDATE: Chelsea have announced the sale of Demba Ba to Galatasaray, effective January 1st.

30-11-2012

CHELSEA NOVEMBER REVIEW

Season1-December-2_zps700c0260.png

Cautious optimism is growing around Stamford Bridge as Chelsea continue to climb the table despite their misfiring strike force. Goals continue to trickle in from the midfield but there is a certain pressure on John Terry, Petr Cech and co., who are all aware that they generally have to keep a clean sheet if they want to earn victories. Conceding five goals in seven games this month, though, suggests that the Chelsea back line are up to the task. Transfer rumours continue to circle around Stamford Bridge, with a bid for QPR’s outstanding Chris Samba strongly tipped. SkyBet has also stopped taking bids on the arrival of Falcao as it is believed that Roman Abramovich has personally guaranteed to trigger the Colombian’s £52,000,000 release clause. With results remaining steady and new recruits just five weeks away, it is certainly building to be an exciting season for Chelsea and the club’s supporters.

16-12-2012

Corinthians 1-2 Chelsea

CHELSEA WIN ALL-ACTION WORLD FINAL

Season1-December-3_zps05d5e767.png

Winning a World Championship will always live long in the memory, but to do so in a game embroiled in such drama and unpredictability ensures that Chelsea’s players and supporters will never forget tonight. Missed penalties, own goals, dismissals and injuries – this match had absolutely everything including a nail-biting finish when Corinthians, who had been second best throughout, finally threatened to take full advantage of their extra man. The Blues prevailed though and they now have a World Championship sitting proudly in the trophy cabinet alongside the FA Cup and Champions League that Robert Di Matteo won last season. The celebration did not stop there though. In his post-match press conference, Levi Gill finally confirmed that the club had acquired the services of Radamel Falcao from Atletico Madrid, for a club record £52,000,000. “Yes, we’ve got him,” Gill beamed. “The chairman and I both looked at Radamel and we agreed that he was pure quality, the sort of player this club should aspire to signing. To play him alongside Hazard… Lampard… Thiago… it really is a dream combination, and one that we hope will propel us to titles.” Gill was pushed on how much more the club would be able to spend but declined to comment further, fuelling suspicions that this deal is only the first of several January transfers in the club’s latest revolution.

19-11-2012

Chelsea 7-2 Everton

CHELSEA EAT TOFFEES FOR BREAKFAST

Season1-December-4_zps36bcc481.png

Has a David Moyes side ever played so poorly? That was the question Everton fans were debating as they trudged miserably back up the M6 to Liverpool tonight after witnessing complete and utter carnage at Stamford Bridge. It had begun so well, Nikica Jelavic opening the scoring for the away side six minutes in. But from there the game descended into the stuff of nightmares for Moyes and his men, Fernando Torres leading the charge as The Blues rifled seven goals past their hapless opponents. Torres might just be playing for his Chelsea career in light of the news that Falcao will be joining the European and World Champions in two weeks’ time, but the Spaniard certainly seems up to the challenge if today is anything to go by. Chelsea continue to climb the table as the halfway point approaches. What will concern their rivals most is not how well they are playing right now, but how much better they can be if Abramovich’s rumoured investment is true.

UPDATE: Chelsea Football Club have tonight announced the capture of Morgan Schneiderlin from Southampton. The want-away Frenchman was transfer-listed at St Marys by request and is believed to have cost Blues manager Levi Gill £9,500,000.

29-12-2012

Arsenal 0-1 Chelsea

CHELSEA LEAVE IT LATE AGAIN

Season1-December-5_zpsa4dd312d.png

Chelsea were forced to show once again their heart and determination as the clock ticked down today. They had been the better side at Emirates Stadium but looked like allowing two points to slip away on a day when all of their closest rivals dropped points. Enter Summer signing Thiago, the coolest man in the stadium as he ran through on goal to collect a chipped pass from Frank Lampard and curl it past the helpless Wojciech Szczesny in the Arsenal goal. The finish sparked scenes of wild celebration among Chelsea fans who recognised that this put the top spot in the league back in their hands. They remain 3rd, two points off the summit, but their trip to Japan last month means that they have a game in hand that can propel them to the top of the table on the day that new recruits Falcao and Morgan Schneiderlin arrive. If they can keep up their relentless pace and, crucially, win more points late as they did today and against Tottenham, then The Blues have every chance of lifting a trophy that has been theirs only once in the past seven years.

UPDATE: Chelsea’s transfer binge has continued with the capture of transfer-listed Kevin Strootman for a fee rumoured to be around £17,000,000. Manager Levi Gill confirmed the signing in his post-match press conference, while refusing to be drawn on his pursuit of the Premier League’s standout performer Chris Samba. “Chris is a great player,” Gill said, cautiously, “but we’ve spend huge sums already and I am pleased with the defenders we have. This club will not be reckless. If QPR wish to talk sensible terms then perhaps we can see.

01-01-2013

CHELSEA DECEMBER REVIEW

Season1-December-6_zps26d74cd0.png

Chelsea continued their rampant form this month with seven victories and only two draws. There were no defeats. They even captured their maiden World Championship, along with a host of new signings, making this one of the better months in the history of the club. Aside from their crucifixion of Everton though, Chelsea fans will be acutely aware that they are struggling to score more than two goals against Premier League opposition. Eden Hazard and Frank Lampard continue to do what they can, and Romelu Lukaku now boasts four goals in his first sixteen games for the club, but the fact is that Falcao will need to hit the ground running to ensure that tougher assignments are faced and overcome. Caution aside, however, Chelsea are undeniably in an enviable position. They have lost only twice in the opening half of the season and remain capable of climbing to the top of the table by winning their game in hand. The midfield will soon be bursting at the seams with talent and with Falcao arriving to form the spearhead of the attack there may b no end to what Chelsea can accomplish this season. They have all the tools at their disposal. Now it is down to the manager to deploy them wisely and marshal his resources, because it is a long season and this remains, after all, the most unpredictable league in the world.

MANAGER’S THOUGHTS

“I have absolutely NO idea where this money is coming from. I asked the board for more transfer funds and they’ve given me a war chest! Falcao was a no-brainer as soon as I could afford him, while Schneiderlin and Strootman allow me the freedom to rest Lampard and Thiago in some big games. I’d love some effective cover for Hazard but even though there is more money to spend I won’t be throwing it around. Too many new signings disrupt the balance and I need to be careful. Chris Samba, as Ross has no doubt pointed out, is averaging a franky outrageous 7.88 in the league this season and if we can do a deal I’d love to have him in because Cahill can have some shockers at times, but generally speaking I think my transfer business is done for the next eighteen months apart from any big deals that I can’t refuse. Maybe just one more…

Aside from transfers things are obviously going nicely. The late winners are something I particularly enjoy, they show great mentality and professionalism that we will need later in the season. Putting seven past Everton is never bad for confidence either!

Quick word on that QPR result as well: BOOM!!! Sit down!!!”

Chelsea-Oldiesv2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users