3 replies to this topic

#1 shmobsky

shmobsky

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

I see people going to clubs that have average teams and then just spitting out a tactic that gains them a high place finish or promotion. I dont understand, i have read countless posts, read heaps of the manager stories, and i am at a loss as to why i cannot develop that killer tactic. I put players in their favoured positions, their favoured roles but i still struggle to win a match, constantly losing. Is there something i am missing, or does this skill come with time and experience? 

• bmwdestroyer likes this

#2 Ana Garcia

Ana Garcia

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

My view honestly is that is no such thing a one brilliant tactic, I am a big believer in try and try again.

I am like you I can sometimes get frustrated when I see people take a low league team to glory in a few seasons and I start playing and lose six games in a row and think what am I doing wrong!

That was until I looked back on why we lost those six games and try to implent a way to stop what we were doing wrong it took time a few seasons but once I worked that out I faced my new challenge that's what great about the game its always a challenge I dont like having a great tactic winning all the time I like the challenge of always trying to evolve it.

This edition however is not the best in terms of 'fairness' if you will (probably not the best word but the best I can use) if you read Acss posts about glitches you can learn that sometimes the game wont let you win I have seen that also and believe me I have lost a lot of games! :)

Its not being bitter its just sometimes the game will do some weird things in game to hinder you almost, I mean last years if i lost I could see why this year makes you lose for silly things like a keeper running past the ball for no reason or the crazy amounts of 'fluke' goals at least in my case!

Things like that no matter what you tweak will never make any difference in those cases if that makes sense, but I think its just experience the more you do something the better you get at it and the more you understand so dont feel down!!

Try to write a story about it and others can give advice, that's how I started and losing is part of the game you cant win every game every season no matter how much you would like to! Its just reality, try to keep things simple make small changes to your tactics and after the game look to see if they made any difference its trial and error (in my case) I can never get it right 100% every time but no one can because no one is perfect. :)

Keep at it also! Don't give up and don't be tempted to try and find that perfect tactic its like a myth or an urban legend the best tactic is the one you can create for yourself using your players and philosophy, I mean a tactic that works for say Acss team will probably not work for mine and its feels so much better winning something with something you have created than by using someone else s but do feel free to try them and to look and to learn.      

Phew long post apologies!! Just keep at it and keep trying as there is no perfect tactic if you feel down read my stories and see that not every story is about success and winning! ;)

• bmwdestroyer likes this

ForumLink2_zps87482062.jpg

#3 Chris/Morozov95

Chris/Morozov95

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

As tough as it is, I've found that there is no one tactic or method that you can apply across the board for every match you play.

I try to stick to a 4-1-2-2-1 (you could argue that it's either a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1, but that's how it looks) as the general formation, but depending on my opposition I will adjust the team instructions and the player roles. I do not to base my formation on the players that I have, certainly from a long term point of view. Whilst it may be beneficial when you first start off with a team to have a formation that suits the players who have to begin with, I find that half of those players are gone by the end of my first season and a further quarter (at least) are gone by the end of the second season. So I base my formation on what I think will work (based on immense tweaking), and I bring in players that can fill those roles.

In my save I started off with a spanish second division B team and went with the 4-1-2-2-1 but i can't tell you how many times i changed the player roles for each position. For example, I started out with a trequartista as the lone striker but I found that I was scoring enough goals so I changed it to a complete forward but I really only had one player that could play that role. I eventually settled on the advanced forward a few seasons later, but even now, about 12 seasons on in my save, i'm still mucking around with it. (I'm not comfortable with the huge void between midfield and attack in some games against higher quality opposition, where the striker seems isolated)

What makes the game so fun and yet so challenging is all the 'little things' that can make a huge difference if you don't pay attention to them. The opposition scouting report, youth development, squad rotation and tweaking of set pieces are just some of the things I find myself checking before practically every game, or paying particular emphasis on.

The in-match changing of your tactics is very beneficial for me too. I find that if I have an opposition winger or two that is absolutely slaughtering me and pinging in crosses or dribbling with the ball non-stop, i'll change the full-backs to a defend duty and set their tackling to hard until their wingers are no longer a threat (a find tight marking useless if the full back doesn't have the speed or marking ability to go with the winger).

Long story short, keep trying different things until you find something that works!

FM Mentality - "Never take your foot off the pedal."

Come over and read my Aldershot Town story here

#4 shmobsky

shmobsky

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

Ahh kk guys, thanks for the advice. Guess ill keep slogging it out as there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users