19 replies to this topic

#1 Wicklander

Wicklander

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

As some writers want to know how their storys look like or if they should change something. So I am writing guide from my perspective. I write my storys on a computer but read most of them from my smartphone. So to make them more readable you can follow this guide.

This is what I think and many other readers may think different.

What should my story be about?

I have wrote a separate guide for this. Stories / Challange Guide

But on the whole a unique story (As Ana said) will probably get more comments and viewers than a team/challange many done before.

Build-up and Content

This is something you need to decide for yourself. If you build it like a fanzine/magazine. Or straight up update. Or as a persona where you write as a diary. It's up to you. As for content I would list these as good pointers.

• Transfers
  • Results (both league and cups)
  • End season table
  • Special Goals - How it's going with your if you have any.
  • Conclusion - Thoughts on how you are going to continue.

Formatting text

For the most part you can format however you want. Bold text, italic text, underlined, strikethrough. Text formating is what (aside from story buildup and content) makes your story what unique. But for smartphones I would avoid changing the size of the text too much. Above 14 is not recommended.

A tip from Ana wich I agree to 100% (english not being my native language)

"Keep paragraphs to a few sentences! For us foreign people big long paragraphs in English can sometimes be a little daunting to try and read so break up your stories with images or us break lines sometimes I use the dash like"

---------

Changing Title

If you change your title when you update with new material you make everyone avare that new stuff is available. Aside from new comments.

You do that by editing you first post in the thread and then click use full editor. In the new window you can change title.

Edit First Post -> Use Full Editor -> Changed Title -> Save Modified Post.

---------------- Tip from PeeDub ---------------

Use a title prefix but change the last part. As an example:

World Travaler - New Zealand - Waitakere United

became

World Traveler - Malaysia - Kelantan

When I changed team. People know it's my World Travaler Save but that something knew has happened.

Updates - When, Where and How Frequent

How Frequent

This is up to you. The challange often have it's natural breaks. It depends how many games you play. How often you play. General rule of thumb for me is not more often than 3-4 days and not longer than 2 weeks between updates. Most updates are during the weekend with 7 day intervall. This helps with getting more comments as people have time to read your update. Many updates too soon often give me the feeling of getting left behind and then I often make no comment at all.

When and Where

If you league plays all cups during the league (Like England, Spain and Italy). I recommend half-season/full-season updates. In Brazil you have the State Championships (first half) before the league starts (second half) creating natural breaks for updates. As Brazil have so many games to play each season. I can brake this even further with a Copa Libertadores update.

Comments

The first to think about is that most viewers do not comment at all. They just read the stories. You can ask for comments like Ben does in his Mentalist/Sweden (at time of writing) save. As long as you ask nicely. :)

And most comments come after 2-5 days because not everyone read stories every day but when they have time. 

Images

Cutting down your images is key to make them easier to look at. A while back I made a guide for the free software GIMP. Print Screen and copy/paste is all you do. Nothing fancy.  But here I will mention why you should cut out the relevent part you want to show. The League Table for instance.

Full Size - 163kb

fullsize.gif

Not so easy to read.

With fixtures for example you can drag the columns together to be able to cut a small piece out. The table are different. I make the window smaller. Like so.

windowtogether.gif

The cut out the middle part. Much easier to see.

tables.gif

Much easier to read.

Smartphones

For me the most important thing is watch out for images and text size. It's not easy to comment when your images is huge. They look even worse than the first image. Text size is easier to read if they are normal size. Text 18 points and higher are pushing it a little.

Signatures

Credit: Darren Smith

"Another good tip is to create a very nice signature, like mine, Accs or many others, something with an image relevant to your story that draws the readers attention when you are just commenting on other stories. But again, you'll only do this if you're paying close attention to your presentation in general, but it will draw in many more views."

FMS Story Awards

Tips from: Darren Smith

This site will publish a story on the main site and that can give you a chance to get many more viewers. Write a good story and this sites readers will vote on your story.

Conclusion

If you put a little work behind your posts they will be a joy to read. And as Darren told me once in one of my stories. "If you enjoy your saves so will your readers" (slightly modified)

General tips from comments

Try to work on your layout as a sloppy story will just get people to stop reading before they are done. Another quote from Darren: "If the writer hasn't taken much time over their presentation then I won't take the time to read". That is what most probably think. So work

As this is told from my point of view I would love for some comments. I will add to above if you find more useful tips and pointers. :)

Updated 2013-04-07 with good tips from comments.

My Stories:

World Traveler - Currently with Guangzhou from China and New Zealand National Team.

Journey in Brazil - Working with Youths.

Tutorials

Tips When Writing a Story - Some basic tips for new writers.

Basic Editing with GIMP - Basic copy/paste turorial to save space with your images.

Story Ideas - A list of challanges for FM games. The Challanges are still valid but some examples may be out of date.

"The formula for winning games is to have a stable defence, hungry midfield and lethal strikers."

Websites (in swedish):

www.wicklander.se

#2 Pedro Fontan

Pedro Fontan

Icon

• Prince
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationStafford

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Like this guidesome useful advice in there! I only started cutting images such as Fixtures to only show the important bits recently! i agree that it looks much better! A good blend of images and text is needed! Too much text tends to make it harder for readers to well... read!! But too many images and it doesn't look too personal! It's a tough job this Blogging thing ;) !
I think there is no better pointer than, Enjoy the save you're playing! If you enjoy what you're playing then it usually shows in  what you are writing!

Current Story- Uniao Atl├ętico Povoense- Climbing the Pyramid
http://www.footballm...son-revolution/

Other Stories- Vasco da Gama FM Journey
http://www.footballm...e-introduction/

#3 Darren Smith

Darren Smith

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Some handy beginners tips there. I think attention to detail is very important. I must admit I am very bothered by stories that don't have cut down images, or include very sloppy mistakes and aren't visually nice to look at...my attitude (and I'm not the only one) is that if the writer hasn't taken much time over their presentation then I won't take the time to read. Very harsh but like many I am so busy nowadays that I find time hard to come by.

Another good tip is to create a very nice signature, like mine, Accs or many others, something with an image relevant to your story that draws the readers attention when you are just commenting on other stories. But again, you'll only do this if you're paying close attention to your presentation in general, but it will draw in many more views.

And last but not least, a way to hold readers once you've got them. Try to stick with half season or full season updates. Avoid single game updates at all costs. You should really write in whatever way makes you happy, but I reckon half season and full season updates are the most enjoyable to read...as for single match updates, well I don't comment on them even though I do read them, just makes following the story a chore as opposed to a pleasure. If you give the reader a few days at least to read other stories and absorb your post, then they will enjoy your thread more.

There you have it, my main tips and bits that turn me straight off. Remember you can get tonnes of publicity through the story awards we hold through the main site every fortnight, so get putting these tips into action, I'm doing the next award in a week, so I'll be watching :)

Posted Image

#4 GChaddah98

GChaddah98

Legend

• Tactical Master
  • 2,683 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Very nice guide and very well written, I think I do most of these things but will always refer back to this.

I think it's quite a let down when you click on a story and it eitheir it doesn't even have images or the image quality is poor. The way you present your posts is important, you want to draw readers in with nice crisp images to go along with a nice amount of writing, not too much but I don't really like stories where they just let the images do the talking and the same where there is too much writing and no images.

Hopefully this guide will be a good one for newcomers and for everyone else too, and Darren thanks for the tip about the signatures, got mine done now :) 

#5 Ana Garcia

Ana Garcia

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Some very good tips and ideas!

I would add the 'unique' factor if you can find a story or an idea that is different from everyone else then you already have a head start as people often enjoy something they have never seen. Managing Newcastle for example is fine for a story but when you see 10-12 of the same team it can get quite daunting for a reader to essentially read them all with a slight difference here and there (no offence to Newcastle of course!:))

Layout that remains the same I really like, in that every post follows the same layout each time you post that way I can familiarise myself and no what to expect from the writer rather than posts that are set out different each time.

I wouldnt worry to much about comments sometimes I read stories but dont comment as usually I am like the last person to read it and there is always about 10 or so posts that pretty much sum everything I would have said so it seems pointless to add anything to whats gone before.

Probably the biggest tip is to write for yourself, find a challenge or a team that appeals to you rather than the audience otherwise you will lose interest and abandon your story and stick to your own goals and ideas someone may say leave this and go here and you do only to find that the decision was a poor one and you lose interest, stick to your own game and you will enjoy writing about it.

Keep paragraphs to a few sentences! For us foreign people big long paragraphs in English can sometimes be a little daunting to try and read so break up your stories with images or us break lines sometimes I use the dash like

---------

To help break the text up a little if I have more to say than my images allow.

Dont be afraid! Some people are always scared or worried to post stories incase they think they are rubbish or no-one will read them but throw those ideas away! If you enjoy the game you will enjoy writing about it and we will enjoy reading about it so never be afraid to step into the unknown you might just enjoy it! ;)

I do agree with Darren though images really help to tell the story, the phrase 'a picture tells a thousand words or something!' applies take more time and care to get your images right and you will save so much time and space and importantly ease to read that helps invite the reader to your story and enjoy it.

Golden rule though is have fun!! Win lose or draw it doesnt matter whether you have won your third champions league with Newcastle or been relegated for the fifth time with four different clubs enjoy the game, success isnt always everything and not always the golden rule to a successful story and a popular one the otherside struglling losing and getting relegated can be as enjoyble to read, getting sacked does not mean game over!! :) 

• Acss and Ben like this

ForumLink2_zps87482062.jpg

#6 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

'a picture tells a thousand words or something!'

A quote has never been said more accurately than this ;)

But yeah, most of the points have been said already I think. Personally I look for the layout.. a well presented story shows that the writer has taken time to construct a good piece that an audience will enjoy reading meaning that its probably a better story in general.

#7 Wicklander

Wicklander

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Like this guidesome useful advice in there! I only started cutting images such as Fixtures to only show the important bits recently! i agree that it looks much better! A good blend of images and text is needed! Too much text tends to make it harder for readers to well... read!! But too many images and it doesn't look too personal! It's a tough job this Blogging thing ;) !
I think there is no better pointer than, Enjoy the save you're playing! If you enjoy what you're playing then it usually shows in  what you are writing!

Can't agree more. And good images makes the story easier to enjoy.

'a picture tells a thousand words or something!'

A quote has never been said more accurately than this ;)

But yeah, most of the points have been said already I think. Personally I look for the layout.. a well presented story shows that the writer has taken time to construct a good piece that an audience will enjoy reading meaning that its probably a better story in general.

Agree, I will read and even re-read a post that is nicely contructed.

Very nice guide and very well written, I think I do most of these things but will always refer back to this.

I think it's quite a let down when you click on a story and it eitheir it doesn't even have images or the image quality is poor. The way you present your posts is important, you want to draw readers in with nice crisp images to go along with a nice amount of writing, not too much but I don't really like stories where they just let the images do the talking and the same where there is too much writing and no images.

Hopefully this guide will be a good one for newcomers and for everyone else too, and Darren thanks for the tip about the signatures, got mine done now :)

Agree. Balance is key.

Some handy beginners tips there. I think attention to detail is very important. I must admit I am very bothered by stories that don't have cut down images, or include very sloppy mistakes and aren't visually nice to look at...my attitude (and I'm not the only one) is that if the writer hasn't taken much time over their presentation then I won't take the time to read. Very harsh but like many I am so busy nowadays that I find time hard to come by.

Another good tip is to create a very nice signature, like mine, Accs or many others, something with an image relevant to your story that draws the readers attention when you are just commenting on other stories. But again, you'll only do this if you're paying close attention to your presentation in general, but it will draw in many more views.

And last but not least, a way to hold readers once you've got them. Try to stick with half season or full season updates. Avoid single game updates at all costs. You should really write in whatever way makes you happy, but I reckon half season and full season updates are the most enjoyable to read...as for single match updates, well I don't comment on them even though I do read them, just makes following the story a chore as opposed to a pleasure. If you give the reader a few days at least to read other stories and absorb your post, then they will enjoy your thread more.

There you have it, my main tips and bits that turn me straight off. Remember you can get tonnes of publicity through the story awards we hold through the main site every fortnight, so get putting these tips into action, I'm doing the next award in a week, so I'll be watching :)

Attention to detail seems like a thread in other comments as well. I will include your tips on signatures and FMS Story Awards. And quoted you in a few places. :D

Some very good tips and ideas!

I would add the 'unique' factor if you can find a story or an idea that is different from everyone else then you already have a head start as people often enjoy something they have never seen. Managing Newcastle for example is fine for a story but when you see 10-12 of the same team it can get quite daunting for a reader to essentially read them all with a slight difference here and there (no offence to Newcastle of course! :))

Layout that remains the same I really like, in that every post follows the same layout each time you post that way I can familiarise myself and no what to expect from the writer rather than posts that are set out different each time.

I wouldnt worry to much about comments sometimes I read stories but dont comment as usually I am like the last person to read it and there is always about 10 or so posts that pretty much sum everything I would have said so it seems pointless to add anything to whats gone before.

Probably the biggest tip is to write for yourself, find a challenge or a team that appeals to you rather than the audience otherwise you will lose interest and abandon your story and stick to your own goals and ideas someone may say leave this and go here and you do only to find that the decision was a poor one and you lose interest, stick to your own game and you will enjoy writing about it.

Keep paragraphs to a few sentences! For us foreign people big long paragraphs in English can sometimes be a little daunting to try and read so break up your stories with images or us break lines sometimes I use the dash like

---------

To help break the text up a little if I have more to say than my images allow.

Dont be afraid! Some people are always scared or worried to post stories incase they think they are rubbish or no-one will read them but throw those ideas away! If you enjoy the game you will enjoy writing about it and we will enjoy reading about it so never be afraid to step into the unknown you might just enjoy it! ;)

I do agree with Darren though images really help to tell the story, the phrase 'a picture tells a thousand words or something!' applies take more time and care to get your images right and you will save so much time and space and importantly ease to read that helps invite the reader to your story and enjoy it.

Golden rule though is have fun!! Win lose or draw it doesnt matter whether you have won your third champions league with Newcastle or been relegated for the fifth time with four different clubs enjoy the game, success isnt always everything and not always the golden rule to a successful story and a popular one the otherside struglling losing and getting relegated can be as enjoyble to read, getting sacked does not mean game over!! :)

Included some of your tips in the first post as I agree with most of it. Well maybe all of it. ;) I think that using paragraphs makes it easier to read even for english natives. :)

My Stories:

World Traveler - Currently with Guangzhou from China and New Zealand National Team.

Tutorials

Basic Editing with GIMP - Basic copy/paste turorial to save space with your images.

Story Ideas - A list of challanges for FM games. The Challanges are still valid but some examples may be out of date.

"The formula for winning games is to have a stable defence, hungry midfield and lethal strikers."

Websites (in swedish):

www.wicklander.se

#8 kevin

kevin

Icon

• FM13 Story of the Year
  • 1,669 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:08 AM

Very thoughtful of you to do this. I'm sure there are many of us who will find your pointers useful including myself :)

#9 Wicklander

Wicklander

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Very thoughtful of you to do this. I'm sure there are many of us who will find your pointers useful including myself :)

I greatly enjoy your saves. They are familiar in it's buil-up of content but yet have something new every time. Even between images an text. Always looking forward to your posts. :)

My Stories:

Tutorials

Websites (in swedish):

www.wicklander.se

#10 PeeDub

PeeDub

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

One suggestion on title changing.  Keep a common title prefix, and only change the subtitle.  Sometimes you don't recognize a story you've been following if the title changes drastically.

e.g.  "World Dominance: Ringing the Changes in Roma (Part 7)"

#11 Jake Lenahan

Jake Lenahan

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

One suggestion on title changing.  Keep a common title prefix, and only change the subtitle.  Sometimes you don't recognize a story you've been following if the title changes drastically.

Agreed, this has got me a few times ahaa

#12 Wicklander

Wicklander

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

Agreed, this has got me a few times ahaa

Included that in the post. :D

My Stories:

Tutorials

Websites (in swedish):

www.wicklander.se

#13 Acss

Acss

Icon

• Administrators
  • 1,664 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:07 PM

Another good tip is to create a very nice signature

About that, I think people need to be careful about how big the image is when used as a signature. I think that about a 200px height should be more than enough so that it adds a nice preview for your story, while the viewers won't get upset by an image that takes just too much from the screen. Very big signatures are a bit annoying when you have to scroll down reading a story, they take too much space and the page loads harder. For example, my signature is about 55px height, Jake's 100px while Darren's about 187px. Maybe that's something we need to keep in mind when using this option to promote our stories :)

• fondfoat likes this

Posted Image

#14 Ana Garcia

Ana Garcia

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

About that, I think people need to be careful about how big the image is when used as a signature. I think that about a 200px height should be more than enough so that it adds a nice preview for your story, while the viewers won't get upset by an image that takes just too much from the screen. Very big signatures are a bit annoying when you have to scroll down reading a story, they take too much space and the page loads harder. For example, my signature is about 55px height, Jake's 100px while Darren's about 187px. Maybe that's something we need to keep in mind when using this option to promote our stories :)

100% agree, I personally think that the one Acss has is the ideal size can get quite frustrating when trying to re-catch up on stories having to scroll though the bigger sizes, smaller looks neater and tidier.

• fondfoat likes this

ForumLink2_zps87482062.jpg

#15 fondfoat

fondfoat

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

I also think there is a difference between an update and a story.

A story is designed to be mostly text with the goal of drawing the reader into the writer's world. Immersion is the key. Here pictures would be rarely used or not used at all.

An update is more informative and therefore pictures play a more important  role.

I would suggest that there is no right style. For example, somebody mentioned earlier that half season or full season updates work best. I know I would rather read about  how a manager deals with  every  game, his emotions, and what the match meant to him/her.

In reality, the best way to write a story is in a way that you the writer enjoys writing it. Just make sure the formating and the grammar is clear, and it should be well received.

Oh,  and I agree with the comments about signatures 100%. Some of the signatures are way too big and actually harm the story page where the person posted. I think a moderator should ask some people to make their signatures smaller.

• PeeDub and tenthreeleader like this

LivingHellPromo_zps3f221dcc.jpg

#16 Harry13

Harry13

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

This will be useful for myself since I have been struggling to get views and comments on stories

Attached File  images.jpg   11.62KB   0 downloads

Can i replicate sir alex ferguson's success at another low premier league club!!!

#17 Wicklander

Wicklander

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

This will be useful for myself since I have been struggling to get views and comments on stories

attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Can i replicate sir alex ferguson's success at another low premier league club!!!

I'm glad to hear you find the information useful. Good Luck with your story. :)

My Stories:

Tutorials

Websites (in swedish):

www.wicklander.se

#18 tenthreeleader

tenthreeleader

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

I also think there is a difference between an update and a story.

A story is designed to be mostly text with the goal of drawing the reader into the writer's world. Immersion is the key. Here pictures would be rarely used or not used at all.

An update is more informative and therefore pictures play a more important  role.

I would suggest that there is no right style. For example, somebody mentioned earlier that half season or full season updates work best. I know I would rather read about  how a manager deals with  every  game, his emotions, and what the match meant to him/her.

In reality, the best way to write a story is in a way that you the writer enjoys writing it. Just make sure the formating and the grammar is clear, and it should be well received.

Oh,  and I agree with the comments about signatures 100%. Some of the signatures are way too big and actually harm the story page where the person posted. I think a moderator should ask some people to make their signatures smaller.

Exactly this.  Well said.

I'm not a Photoshop guy, I'm not a graphics guy -- I'm a writer, and writing's what I do.  If I can't make my reader see what I see when I write the post then I shouldn't be doing it.  But then, my goal is different than most others here, and that's great. There is no 'right way'.

One of my stories here is a full, daily diary (American Calcio) - and the other is what I term a 'half-diary' (Malone Again, Naturally).  Both take a lot of work and time to generate, and much of what those stories contain has absolutely nothing to do with FM.

It does, however, have to do with character development, backstory, and a careful look inside player profiles and game information to generate something that's more than "I went unbeaten in December and was named Manager of the Month".  It's not everyone's cup of tea, and I get that, but I want to immerse my readers and that's why I write.

If you're going to try a diary, though, there are a few things you should do:

1) Get ahead of your posting schedule when you write. -- There's nothing worse for either your writing or your psyche than feeling that you HAVE to write someting to stay on an arbitrary schedule.  It becomes a grind and a drudge.  Stories die that way.  Have a reserve ready for those times when you either have writer's block or just don't care to write at a given moment.  In my own case, I will work on a story for 4-6 weeks before I ever make an OP.

2). Take your time. -- If you're writing a diary, take time to write elements that make a diary fun.  You aren't in a hurry when you do it this way, believe me.

3). Do your homework. -- That's the fun part for me. Research. Learn your club if you don't already know it,  Learn its rivals, if you don't already know them, and build story elements around them.  That makes writing fun and it's fun to place characters in situations the game generates for you.

and most importantly...

4) Listen to your readers, but do it your own way and have fun. -- You always want to make your work appealing so people will read it, but in the end, the only one who is doing the work is you.  The quote that springs to mind for me is "feel only your own pressure.  Your own is sufficient."

Enjoy.  Enjoy.  Enjoy. :)

BW-color-embossed2_zpsphgpb6gp.jpg

Calcio-sig2_zpsdkugphiq.jpg

#19 Squareby101

Squareby101

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:06 PM

How do I add images of player profiles from in the game? What I mean is where you click a link to view their profile for example? Any help would be appreciated

#20 tenthreeleader

tenthreeleader

Squad member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:13 PM

I think the best way is to get a free service like Photobucket to store your images and then link to them in the window.  You'll have to upload those images first, of course.

BW-color-embossed2_zpsphgpb6gp.jpg

Calcio-sig2_zpsdkugphiq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users